SIX

CHAPTER SIX
of tongue-chumming & father's of the year

CHAPTER SIXof tongue-chumming & father's of the year

"A man does
what he CAN;
A woman does
what a man
CANNOT"
- isabel allende

ALARIC PUT KATELYN IN THERAPY WITH HOPE because of what they saw on the bus. They were required to go at the same time every other day of the week. Which was really annoying. Katelyn didn't need therapy - well she does, but she's lived without for so long that she didn't feel like she needs it. 

"'No legacy is so rich as honesty.' When Shakespeare wrote that, he obviously didn't know what I know about teenage boys. I mean, I know there are guys with integrity, who lead with truth. I've just never met any of them." 

Katelyn agreed with that admission. Even Landon and Rafael didn't start with the truth when they first met and they had to learn how to trust each other before they were comfortable. 

"I see you've decided to double down on your nihilism this morning." Emma Tig, the counselor, said as she taps her pen against her paper. 

"We're trying to be rich with honesty." Katelyn said with a sarcastic smile. Emma gave her a look making the girl huff slightly and lean back in her chair. She just wanted to go run in the forest or talk to Josie or MG. 

"Start from the beginning." Emma said. 

"Of my short-lived but horrific romances with liars?" Hope raised an eyebrow. 

Emma scowled. "Of your decision to perform black magic on school grounds last night. And dragging the new student with you." 

Katelyn rolled her eyes. "Maybe we could table this until we catch the guy we were trying to find by using black magic - that I did not rope her into, by the way, she wouldn't let me do it alone - Because the longer that Landon Kirby is out there, the greater the chance he tells people about this school and the kind of people we have hidden behind the gates." Hope said. The tribrid's had a different reason why they wanted to find the Hybrid but they weren't going to tell her that. 

"You know there's a beacon that alerts me when someone's using. You knew you would be caught." Emma said, looking between the two. 

"After we found Landon, but we lost the trail and now we're being interrogated. But go ahead, take your time. Nothing at stake here." Katelyn said sarcastically. 

"Did anyone help you with the spell, Hope? Katelyn isn't a witch and it's a pretty power-consuming spell." 

"No. Can we go now?" Hope asked, not wanting Josie to get in trouble. 

"Girls. You're students. This isn't your fight." 

"Landon was inside the walls of this school because of us. he had access to the knife he stole because of me. We're at risk of exposure because of me. And you can tell me that I'm sublimating a lifetime of survivor's remorse, or whatever it says in my file here, but I'm gonna help Dr. Saltzman find him." Hope said stubbornly.