TWENTY-EIGHT

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
andrea and nikolaus

KATELYN SWEARS THAT SHE STOPS breathing when her eyes land on the two baby blankets

KATELYN SWEARS THAT SHE STOPS breathing when her eyes land on the two baby blankets. Or maybe she never really has been breathing. She doesn't know. She really doesn't care. 

She reaches into the box. "What are you doing?" Alaric asked. "Don't touch anything." She ignores him and gently picks up the wet soaked blankies. Her breathing hitches, tears stinging the back of her eyes. 

October 3rd, 2020 — 9 years old

"It's twins," Melissa, the lady who has been taking care of her, hissed at the Elder witches. "How can she be pregnant at such a young age at all?" Melissa demands. 

"She is one of her kind, Lisa," Veronica tried to soothe, setting a gentle hand on the woman's arm even though she was internally seething that they were speaking of the little witch again. "It's a magical pregnancy. Hopefully, she'll die giving birth and we won't have to take care of her anymore." 

"Veronica," chastised Luthor with a hard glare. "We need Katelyn whether she misbehaves or not. She has no idea what is going on. At all. She's freaking out because she is a nine-year-old who is pregnant. Right now, we need to trick her into thinking that we are helping her. We need her to think that we are on her side." 

Katelyn's breathing stutters only slightly from where she is hiding behind the wall. Sweat drips down from her head all the way down her back. Her best friend, Brynn Wright, stood behind her. The girl was a year older and has been the 'Mom' of their little group. 

Joey and Jean were the troublemakers. Katie and Taylor were the ones obsessed with plants and make-up and barbies. Cameron and Vincent were the protectors. Rachel was the shy one with a feisty side. While Katelyn and Brynn were like the leaders — the ones they all relied on when things got tough in the Coven. 

Katelyn evens out her breathing. Brynn and Katelyn have eavesdropped so many times that they've become experts in all things stealth. If they didn't want you to hear them coming, you wouldn't. 

Melissa, one of few nice people in the Coven, slams her hands down on the table, making the Elders jump and look at her. "Katerina is a child," she spits. The old woman sighed. "You've tortured her enough for what she is. She's a good kid, Elders. She wants these kids — and yes I do think she's crazy — so please, just let her have this." 

Logan shakes his head sternly. "No. She is too dangerous and far too young to be taking care of children, Melissa." 

Melissa sighs in defeat, her eyes lifting up and meeting Katelyn's. The young girl and the old woman come to an agreement.

June 23rd, 2021 — 10 years old

Her heart pounded against her ribcage, her mind fuzzy. All she could hear in the room was muffled talking that made no sense, beeping from the machines, and the cries of two babies.