TWENTY-THREE

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
of getting ready & parties

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREEof getting ready & parties

"DAD IS SO SUSPICIOUS." JOSIE TOLD HER SISTER as she did the girl's hair. She stood behind her sister, both in front of the mirror.

"Uh, duh. So am I." Lizzie said in an obvious tone.

"I just think that she's more fairy godmother than zombie." Josie said, ignoring her sisters' statement. 

Lizzie inhaled before releasing it. "She's not our mother. She's DNA. We can be mad at Mom all that we want for missing our party, but we cannot cheat on her with Mombie Dearest." 

Josie, who had finished her sister's hair, looked saddened but didn't say anything about it. She looked down at the ground before looking back up at Lizzie. 

"You're not even dressed." Lizzie told her as Josie looked down at herself. "I don't want to be late to my own party."

"I'm done." Josie said to her sister, referring to her hair. "I'll catch up with you, okay?" Lizzie nodded and got up, walking towards the door as Josie picked up the mirror and brush. 

Lizzie walked out, leaving Josie alone. She put the mirror and brush back into the drawer of her dresser and glanced at her bed. She looked back at the dresser before doing a double-take. 

A red envelope stuck out from in between two pillows. She reached over and grabbed it. Her name was written on the envelope in a black pen. 

She opened it and pulled out a pouch. She looked at it, feeling what was inside through the fabric before setting it down.

Josie reached back into it and pulled out the red piece of paper. She read it.

Hope your
birthday wishes
came true,

Hope and Katelyn (this bitch tried to take all the credit)

Josie laughed at what Katelyn wrote at the end. She realized after a bit of observation that Hope and Katelyn had a sisterly relationship, almost instantly. Josie envied Katelyn because it took almost a decade for Hope to finally open up to her while Katelyn swooped in and the two seemed to be best friends already.

Josie smiled at the card before setting it down and picking up the pouch. She opened it up, pulling the contents out. 

It was a beautiful silver necklace with a talisman on the end. Josie put it on instantly, smiling. She smiled because she got a present from her friend that she hit it off with and she smiled even wider because it was Hope - the girl that she was pretty sure she loved - gave her a necklace for her birthday, not Lizzie... her.

She fingered the talisman, zoning out about what happened a couple of nights ago when Lizzie was supposedly sleeping with Katelyn.

After Josie kissed Hope's cheek, the two had retired to the tribrid's room and had a night of their own. Whispering how they felt about one another, kissing whenever the other said something too adorable or cliche, and cuddling until they were both asleep and safe in each other's arms.