TWENTY-NINE

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
save who?

KATELYN SLAMS THE TOP BACK DOWN and quickly puts the chains back on before sliding down the side and sitting on the ground

KATELYN SLAMS THE TOP BACK DOWN and quickly puts the chains back on before sliding down the side and sitting on the ground. Everyone eyes her warily. 

"Um... you okay?" Hope asked, tilting her head and raising an eyebrow. 

"Nope," Katelyn replied, shaking her head. 

The box began to shake as the man inside began to thrash around. "I WANT BLOOD! LET ME OUT!" He screamed, banging on it. Katelyn breathes out and elbows the box. The movement inside stopped. "Hello?" The voice inside called. Katelyn put her finger to her lips, signaling for everyone to be quiet. "I can hear you breathing," he sings. He bangs on the top. "Come on! Let me out!" 

She looked over at Hope. The girl nodded slowly and mumbled a spell underneath her breath. The movement in the box stopped and Katelyn sighed in relief. She looked over at Alaric. "I'm sorry," she said. 

Alaric, Hope, and Landon's eyes widen in realization. Alaric rushed over. "Come on, let's take him to the cellar. You guys dispose of the body. Give him a proper burial," he said. Katelyn and Alaric both lifted the box and began walking back towards school. 

"What?!" Lizzie yelped. "No way am I touching that!" 

Alaric rolled his eyes but didn't say anything. 

.

.

.

.

"Screw the both of you," Logan said from where he was sitting in a cell. His cell and Vera's were right beside each other. Katelyn and Alaric both rolled their eyes. 

The blonde rubbed her temples and leaned back against the wall. She couldn't ask where her children were. Not with Alaric right there. She doesn't trust him. And she knows it's shitty because she wants him to trust her but... after everything... she couldn't. Not with her children's safety. 

Vera scoffed from her cell. Katelyn could see them both clearly. "You're just mad that the Elders kicked you out of position because you killed a hunter, Logi," she mocked. 

"Oh, shut up, Vera. You never had a position. You were just there because Amelia had a soft spot for you — which I don't understand, you're fucking annoying," the man snaps. 

Katelyn turned to Alaric. "Can I have a moment?" Alaric shook his head and she sighed. "Please, Ric? I need to talk to them. By myself." He hesitates for only a moment before nodding and walking away. 

"Buh-bye, Ricky!" Vera called after him. Alaric threw her the middle finger as he turned the corner. She turns hums and looks over at Katelyn. 

Katelyn rubs her hands together before flicking her wrist. The two raise an eyebrow. "Sound barrier," she explains. "No one can hear you scream," she says with a cheeky smile, bouncing up and down on her heels. Vera scoffs once again while Logan turns away. Katelyn continues to smile as she opens her eyes. "Come on. Aren't we all friends?" She asked, pulling a sword out of one of the other cells.