TWENTY-TWO

CHAPTER TWO
of waltzing & truth balls

"SO, THE EMCEE WILL THEN ANNOUNCE LIZZIE and her escort

"SO, THE EMCEE WILL THEN ANNOUNCE LIZZIE and her escort." Hope told Katelyn as they stood in the gym. Katelyn looked at her for a moment, slightly confused. 

"Her what?"

"Kind of like at a— a debutante ball."

Katelyn chuckled and set her hands on Hope's shoulders. "Oh, that makes more sense. The witches threw a ball every year and forced all of their minions to look their best and know how to dance."

Hope stared at her before shaking her head. "Okay. Well, they had stairs, didn't they?"

Katelyn looked at her dryly. "No, they flew down from level to level." She said sarcastically.

Hope whacked her in the back of the head. "Pay attention and stop interrupting." 

"Okay, jeezus woman." 

Hope turned her around to point to the bleacher's steps that they were standing on top of. "So, you're gonna meet her halfway down."

Katelyn did as she was told. "How do you know all this stuff? Did mom and dad throw a lot of parties?" Katelyn asked. 

"No, well, yes, but actually one of our aunts has been around for more than a thousand years. This kind of thing is her jam." Hope told her with a smile as she walked down the steps where Katelyn was standing halfway. 

"So, what, I just stand here?" Katelyn questioned. 

Hope gave her a look from the corner of her eye before stopping in front of Katelyn and holding up her arm in a horizontal position. "Then you take her arm." Katelyn raised an eyebrow, not really sure how to do it. "Sort of like you're putting yours on top." She interlocked their arms and Katelyn kept the position, her hand on her abdomen. "Yeah, like that. And then you descend together." 

They both walk the rest of the way to the middle of the gym. They unlink and Katelyn turns towards her. 

"And now you bow." Hope said as she curtsied. 

Katelyn chuckled. She bowed dramatically with a smile. "Yeah, you're messing with me. It's literally a birthday party." 

"You think this is bad? You know it's only gonna get worse, right? Lizzie Saltzman has been planning her sweet 16 since she was five. You probably should've thought twice before asking to be her date." 

Katelyn rolled her eyes. "I didn't. She asked me. And I said yes. So, all I know is that I can't let her down now. Especially today."

Hope narrowed her eyes, crossing her arms. "Why?"

"For one I slept with her, Hope, and two... Josette Laughlin... their biological mother turned up out of nowhere this morning. That's why I was late to the counselor meeting." Katelyn told her in a quiet but firm voice. She didn't want anyone else to hear.