gone • chaeyoung x y/n

"look at her," my friends whispered to each other, while pointing at the outcast, sitting alone beside an old, almost broken ukulele. she sat under the tree in her flowy flowery dress, frowning on her own. "what is it with her?" i asked my friends. "she's always there, watching us, but whenever we ask her to play with us, she never answers." i shrugged at jennie's, my friend, answer. "is she sick?" jisoo, my other friend, asked. "i don't know. she's weird," jennie replied and sighed.

i, without hesitation, came approaching her. the girl was so pretty when seen up close and personal. i was seven, just really young and naive, not knowing how to describe the butterflies in my stomach when i met her. "hey," i called her, asking if she wanted to join us. she was looking at me with pleading eyes, and rather than a pitiful gaze, i replied it with a confused and curious one. "do you want to come and play with us?"

"eh, i'm sorry she might not be able to join you girls," an 18-year-old teenage girl walked towards us, answering to my question instead of letting the girl under the tree answers for herself. "she can not stay under the sun light, but she can make friends, obviously. right, chae chae?" the bigger one asked the younger one, who just weakly nodded. "do you want to sit here with us?" i nodded excitedly as she offered me a bottle of iced pomegranate water which i politely declined since i couldn't handle sweet treats or my throat will feel really sick.

i sat beside the girl, wanting to admire her beauty through taking a closer look. "why are you staring at me?" i panicked when she realized. "oh, nothing. you're pretty." she chuckled and blushed a bit. "thank you," she thanked me shyly. i cleared my throat before introducing myself. "i'm y/n and i love cheese sticks," i spoke confidently like my mom used to teach me, in which this had her full attention. "i'm chaeyoung and i love roses," she replied, also taking my hand and shaking it. "oh, wait. hyeri, she loves cheese sticks, too!" she exclaimed at her older sister, hyeri. poor chaeyoung didn't get any reaction because hyeri was busy listening to music through her headphones.

and days passed by after that, going quickly like a wind. i found out that has a chronic anemia since when she was born that she couldn't even attend school for she might easily faint. jennie, jisoo, her and i quickly made friends, but jennie and jisoo weren't as close as i did with chaeyoung. everyday, as i grew up, i kept on meeting her and taught her a few things i learned at school. sometimes, i would share about my school experience and she would make songs about it then sings it with her dreamy voice.

"thank you," she said, one time, randomly out of nowhere. "for what?" i asked. "staying." i just chuckled. "how can you leave when you love?" she smiled widely, i truly have never seen such happiness shining from her eyes. it was a silence for a bit, but then she broke it. "i literally have no friends and sometimes i act weird unlike other kids, but you're still here." i breathed deeply. "because i love you, chae and i, y/n, promise to never leave your side. this is as cheesy as those rom com movies, but all i know is i'll always be here for you." she sighed then it became quiet again.

"chaeyoung?" i was at high school by that time and had never dated anyone. people around me were dating and all i wanted to was to date someone whom i actually loved. "yes, y/n?" i sighed. the prom is coming very soon and people were having dates. i wanted to go with jennie and jisoo but they were dating anyways, so i had to thirdwheel. "have you ever had a crush on someone?" chaeyoung giggled. "why? you're having a crush on someone? or are you in search because you're having a prom night soon?" i stuttered, "w-well, i don't know." chaeyoung raised her eyebrows.

earlier i had planned to confess how i felt about her, but my fear and awkwardness held me back. my face was red hot and i couldn't even say a thing. "y/n, you know i like you back." i froze at the moment, taken aback at how she noticed it so fast and concluded instantly yet it was a right conclusion. "i- what?" i was so shocked then i became speechless. "you heard me. i barely has any friends growing up and only you, jennie, jisoo and hyeri are my friends, but romantically i felt like my heart is growing on you. i really like you, y/n." it didn't go as planned and chaeyoung was the one who confessed instead of me. well, my body language spoke enough for her to know.