the partially blind date • chaesoo

"come on, chaeyoung! you've been single for months! it's time to move on from that bitch!" lisa groaned in stress. chaeyoung was really driving her crazy. "your chae chae is never going to come back again and there's nothing you can do about it! you need to be you again, it feels like you've been drifting away and become so depressive and self deprecating! this is not the real you, chaeyoung. you deserve to be happy, too."

chaeyoung just broke up with her girlfriend, chaeyoung, four months ago. she was left really sad and broken, especially since they were about to hold an engagement party that they even went for ring and gown shopping. somehow it became messy when chaeyoung found out that chaeyoung has been cheating on her with her 'best friend', dahyun. the engagement was cancelled and their relationship ended.

"okay, well, i know that, but there are other ways than blind date to make me feel better. i can be happier in so much more other ways rather than.. blind dates? why are we still doing this anyways? why is this even a thing on the first place?" chaeyoung sighed. "yeah, yeah, but we have tried everything, chae! from ice cream to therapists, from massage to holiday in paris, from charities to shopping spree; in the span of four months we already used like hundreds of thousands dollars just to make you happy, but you're just- you won't even smile sincerely," lisa vent for her pent up frustration.

"and now, all these ends here. this is final. case closed. you are going on a blind date set by me and my girlfriend, jennie, and no, i am not taking a 'no' as an answer, i'm really sick of your attitude, dear." chaeyoung exhaled in exhaustion. maybe she's right, chaeyoung thought. even if i hate this shit, at least i'll do this for my best friend. "ah, alright then. whatever." lisa cheered excitedly. "yay! fucking finally! i love you so much, bestie!" she hugged chaeyoung so tightly, chaeyoung was having difficulties breathing. "yeah, anything for you, lisa."

///

"jisoo unnie, i have great news!" jennie rushed into her favorite nerd cousin's bedroom with a bright face. jisoo looked up to jennie, heavily breathing while flashing a huge smile on her face. "what is it jen?" she asked, putting away her novel and taking off her glasses. "i'm setting you on a blind date with lisa's pretty friend you wanted to hit on on last summer party!" jisoo's face lit up in just one sentence. "really?! oh my god, thankies, girl!" jisoo was so joyful she hugged jennie right afterwards.

"when though?" jisoo asked immediately, knowing how much jennie loves surprises which most probably means it was coming very soon. "tonight," jennie answered. "tonight?!" jennie nodded. "hm, tonight." jisoo cursed, "shit. i look horrendous now! i haven't even prepared anything, lord- i'm gonna need a huge glow up." jennie chuckled. "why are you so worried? i got it, unnie."

"finally. park sooyoung, get ready, you'll be mine," jisoo murmured to herself. "what?" jennie asked. "oh, nothing. let's just choose the outfit." jennie stood up and stretched her body, walking out the door. "wait, where are you going?" jennie confusedly looked at jisoo. "shopping? i'm buying you the fit for tonight's dinner date." jisoo gawked. "so, are you coming or not?"

///

jisoo arrived at the elegant restaurant, driving her silver porsche, wearing red all over her. from bag to dress and stiletto heels, even her lipstick were bright red. she smiled at the waitress whom instantly showed her the way to her candle lit table on the balcony of the french diner.

chaeyoung came first actually, she was seated in annoyance, suited in her lilac dress. she didn't even want to come actually but since lisa begged her, she couldn't refuse her bestie's good intentions beneath. the thing was chaeyoung didn't even enjoy anything, especially when her date came.

jisoo gawked when she saw chaeyoung was the one sitting there instead of sooyoung. why would her first love be there and not her actual crush? chaeyoung's mouth was also left agape. she didn't know that jisoo, the person she rejected years ago would come to have a blind date with her, but now all so hot and looking like a real deal.

"wait, it's you?" jisoo went immediately disappointed, then realizing that jennie thought she was pointing to chaeyoung at the last summer party when she was actually pointing to sooyoung was talking beside her. "yeah, it's me. long time no see, huh." chaeyoung forced a polite smile, while welcoming her to sit across her. "kinda. i didn't expect you to be the one sitting there."

"then who?" chaeyoung asked, she didn't even hesitate to cut the steak she has been sort of drooling over since the beginning of her wait. she didn't care since jisoo was not a stranger for her. "sooyoung. jennie really needs her eyes to be fixed, for fucks sake." chaeyoung giggled. "yeah, whatever. it's not a biggie, i can set you up with her if you want to.." jisoo raised her eyebrows at chaeyoung's unfinished statement. "..be a side chick." jisoo sighed. "she's been dating for some months."

"i regret actually agreeing to this date," jisoo ranted. "well, i do too, miss, but good food is always good food no matter what, especially when it's free." jisoo chuckled a little, her heart ached again as she felt her memories of being rejected flashing in her head. chaeyoung stopped chewing for a while then looked away to the city view while the wind blew on her face softly. "you know, jisoo, maybe we can actually try to get along."

jisoo stared at chaeyoung, who then looked back at her and stared directly into her eyes. "you said no." chaeyoung took a deep breath. "you ran away that night, two years ago, even before i finished my sentence, jisoo." chaeyoung explained, "i said 'not yet', not 'no'. i told you that feelings don't grow overnight, but you chose to be bitter since you were so insecure about your looks and everything. you said, 'okay, let's be friends' too quick and then just left me. i couldn't even explain that i needed some time to think about the relationship, and you just became very distant afterwards."

"you should've waited." jisoo grinned. "and what? waiting to be rejected again?" chaeyoung quickly clapped back. "you're so foolish to think i didn't want to say yes." jisoo felt uneasy. "i liked you back, but i was just naive and young and- i just didn't understand."

"and even though i thought we finally got rid of each other and tried to get over our feelings towards each other, i don't think i succeeded. i'm lying to myself if i said i didn't have that tiny bit of mind piece saying 'jisoo wouldn't do this to me'. i loved chaeyoung, but you were never out of my head." jisoo inhaled deeply then exhaled loudly. "to be honest, same."

"and maybe, you were right." jisoo chuckled, feeling a little awful. "can we restart all of these? like a new fresh start?" jisoo asked, practically begged with her eyes. "my name is jisoo and you look stunning tonight." chaeyoung giggled. "i'm chaeyoung and you look absolutely amazing in red."

"wait, really?" chaeyoung raised her voice, "of course, jisoo. you're rocking this so far and honestly, i've never seen someone look this appealing in red." they both laughed a little.

"well, it's not a totally blind date, after all."