the swan and the ugly duckling • chaennie

Jennie was the Regina George of the university's business major—well, except for the mean part. She was pretty, popular, well known between both boys girls, and all the lecturers. She was rich, kind and the epitome of everything everyone wanted to be. She would wear cute Chanel tweed sets which basically screamed old money vibes and would smile politely to everyone she met. She looked like the barbie-like actresses, celebrities on TV that people would watch as children, so benevolent of a royalty. She had always been like a beacon that attracted everyone since she was a kid, but her elegance grew and she was even more loved as she grew up. She was the it girl–that girl, a queen bee with tons of friends and even fans.

On the flipside, Chaeyoung was the sweet little nothing nerd. She would sit in front rows during lectures and diligently take notes without a break. She's the type of girl with a great track record of being punctual in submitting all her papers and attentive in every classes. She was practically friendless and if not for the kindness of her only friend since middle school, Kim Jisoo, she would be alone all the time and everywhere. With thick glasses and tied back hair in a ponytail, basically dressed in dark grey comfy hoodies and bleached jeans all the time, and the eyebags–with no make up too–look she pulled every time, no body would ever think she was Jennie's girlfriend. She was invisible, she was a no one.

It seemed like the two were on the polar opposite sides of the world. They were like a the moon and the sun—Jennie was the brightly shining sun whose warmth were felt by everyone around her and Chaeyoung was the dimly reflective cold moon whose presence of existence, could only be seen, depended solely on Jennie. The moon could only dream to be the sun and was more than ardent to revolve around it along with the earth.

Chaeyoung met Jennie on the first day of college, and their first interaction was by an accident. Jennie had sat beside Chaeyoung and she unintentionally mistook Chaeyoung's fallen book for hers. So then they talked. Through a series of an unfortunate events, they managed to know each other and became close friends.

Nonetheless, Jennie fell for Chaeyoung first. She thought to herself often of how sweet and bubbly Chaeyoung was to her, especially when she could never express her tenderness outside. However, the younger fell harder. She saw Jennie as a perplexing figure of her own and wanted to stay by her and watch every part of her grow old with herself as seasons change but their love stays unchanging.

That day, Jennie performed with her dance team. In the university, there were several organizations and clubs the students could join. Though unsure at first, Chaeyoung assured Jennie that she would be the star and the spotlight and that she would be the center of it all—that everyone's eyes would always immediately land on her in an ocean of people. Sure enough, Chaeyoung was right.

It was the opening night for the university's anniversary festival. The student body–from what Chaeyoung had initially heard from Jisoo who was a part of it–even invited idols to perform. The dance team, the band club, and the choir group–all from the university–opened the night.

"You? I'm sorry, no offense, but I don't think anyone like you could be the dating the Jennie. I mean look at you," commented a random guy.

Chaeyoung sighed. She was faced by a six foot tall lean dude with a face of a model. His words were jabbing and his fixated eye gaze was condescending. With the last of her pure blessed heart's patience, Chaeyoung held herself from using her black belt Taekwondo skills to kill the man because she didn't want to make a fuss that would ruin her girlfriend's performance–Jennie's moment.

Originally, Chaeyoung thought of recording her girlfriend, the same way she always did since the first year. However, that hunky selfish piece of a prick that was way too overconfident made her not be able to do so.