coward • jenlisa

the woman walked down the aisle slowly, her hand trailing through the church benches as she stepped down through the abandoned church carpet while she listened to the chirping birds outside and the flowing waterfall that broke, wrecked this building down ages ago so it became useless then left because they ran out of funds to fix the damage. just like her heart, a big storm came and presented pain, showing no mercy for the lady, giving her unlimited hurt that could not be healed unless she found the cure herself.

jennie was sitting on her own while watching the darkness inside the ruins, alongside a little light that sips through the holes from the roof, pretending to be all fine when her cheeks were totally drenched in salty tears out of frustration. as if she was cursed, she tried to feel numb, but the scars were unbearable, maybe she could die but her dying process was a madness. she really wished she had passed.

"jen," a heavy husky voice called her from the opened door, echoing from the moldy walls 'decorated' using hanging green and brown vines. "how long will you stay like this? choose." the man, who came outof curiousity and pity, then immediately followed the trace left by the quietly weeping woman. "jay, i dismissed you already," she answered flatly, as jaehyuk sat beside her, not even responding with a sigh at jennie's reply, meaning to say he was not satisfied. "i don't get it, jen. you keep on hesitating when you know which one is right, which one is wrong. this is not the 16th century and you are legal, isn't it enough reason to leave?"

"i suppose, jay, but these two choices aren't that easy. it's not as simple as it seemed to appeal. my father is not just tough, and i do recognize how toxic he is- but he's old and i really want to make a change, i want to take care of him and show him how love must be given. i can't, jay, but at the same time-" jennie paused as she froze and leaned back. "this may be a clear water for you, jay, but for me it's like differentiating two identical twins," jennie continued her rant towards her childhood best friend.

jennie is a 'princess', her mother died when she was born and her father was really heartbroken that he couldn't remarry nor even move on, so he was a single dad that took care of jennie. her father is very stressed and careless at the same time so sometimes he brought his attitude at work home. if you wonder why he was really abusive and toxic, he was a boss gangster. he was a filthy rich mafia that controlled the government and is an illegal drug distributor, the most huge one in the whole asia. some days would be dreamy and all happy for their small family living in a damned mansion with a pool, but most of it were filled with nightmare for jennie because of how her father would punish her with his belt or even threaten his only child with a blade, sometimes guns, since he would come home drunk and depressed.

although her life was a mess, jennie tried her best keeping pieces of the broken home together, holding it on her own will. on the other side, jaehyuk came and instantly became jennie's friend. jaehyuk was an only son of the gang member and once his parents died, he was immediately accepted as a family member of the kims and jennie loved him so much as an older brother. he was the only one who knew and understood jennie fully and wholly. how dangerous her father was to the smallest details of jennie's characteristics, he memorized it all, from the way jennie speaks to her hobby of giving hints of her favorite color in every outfit or stuffs of hers. he understood her.

to repay the kindness of jennie's biological father, jaehyuk followed him as a gang member, also to replace his parent and so he could protect jennie as her sidekick. jaehyuk was the one who knew, no matter how badass and ruthless jennie was originally trained to be, her heart is too soft to take things like those and he believed that she should leave as jaehyuk knew the environment was not good for jennie, especially since he found out that jennie had secretly kept a severe heart injury as she was accidentally shot but survived luckily, without telling anyone, even her own father.