56. Five Years Later Part 1

Erza's POV:

     I opened the heavy glass door and entered the cafe, pulling my bag further up my shoulder. Jellal was coming back next week. I couldn't help being in a state of euphoria.

     I saw Cana talking to Bacchus over the counter and suppressed my grin. I walked over to them and said, "Hey Bacchus! Hello Cana!" He quickly said, flustered, "I was just showing Cana the new cakes we got..."

     I smirked and replied, "Whatever you say Bacchus... Just don't give away the Strawberry Shortcake. It's the last one remaining." I frowned, looking at the shelves. "Hold on-" I pulled my phone out of my pocket.

     Lucy was calling me. I picked up the phone and with one last glance at Cana and Bacchus, who had resumed chatting, I went into the kitchen, answering Lucy,
"Hey Lucy!"
"Erza! Listen... Natsu and I are having a party next week. At our new home, ofcourse. It's a surprise for Jellal, so do us a favour and drag him there without giving him the slightest idea of what's waiting for him okay?"
"Okay... That's fine with me. But did he tell anyone what day he's coming back? He hasn't replied to the text I sent him last night yet."
"I have no idea... But the party is on Saturday. He should be back by then."
"Yeah... So are you two settled? Should I come to help?"
"Oh, no Erza. Please. We will manage. You have a lot on your hands now."
"Come on Lucy, I can make some time for my friends. Natsu won't be of help I know. And setting up a home is difficult. Trust me."
Lucy laughed and said, "Don't worry. Juvia and Wendy already helping and Gajeel is making sure Natsu won't make a mess."
"Fine then... I'll come visit tomorrow."
"Okay! I'll be waiting. I gotta get going now. So much to do..."
"Yeah, yeah. I got a job to do... See you tomorrow!"
"Yep. Byee!"
"Bye."

     I kept my phone away, smiling to myself. I washed my hands and got to baking. We were running out of Strawberry Shortcakes.

     After a couple of minutes, Laki came in and started helping me out. I had my own cake shop. Laki worked with me and I had two other employees, Bacchus and Lisanna, who worked as waiters. Bacchus would come into the kitchen sometimes to make rum cakes.

     Lucy and Natsu had got together after he stormed into her house one day, breaking all her curfews and rules. Natsu and Lucy's father had quite a row. Which ended up with Lucy moving out with Natsu.

     Levy was a librarian at Fiore Library. She and Gajeel were together. I never expected that one to happen, I'll admit. Juvia was doing an Art course. She was exceptionally good at painting. Gray was working in the local Police Department as a trainee.

     Gajeel had his own Mechanic shop. Laxus was completing a course to become a Teacher. I guess it just ran in his blood. Natsu became an Archaeologist. One step closer to his dream. Wendy was a Veterinary doctor. She was completing her intership at the hospital, soon to be a full fledged doctor. Lucy was interning for a Fashion magazine. Her dream to be a Fashion designer was in her grasp.

     I put a tray full of small moulds with batter into the oven and came out to see how business was doing. Cana was gone. Bacchus came over and shoved the Strawberry Shortcake towards me, "Better eat it if you don't want to sell it. A blue hair guy just left because I said I can't sell it to him."

     My heart skipped a beat. "Keep it inside... I-I'll be back in a bit." I ran out of the shop to see if I could catch the blue haired man. But there was no blue head in sight. I came back in, feeling a sense of disappointment.

     My phone rang again and I rushed to pick it up, not seeing the caller ID before answering.
"Hello! Jellal?"
"Hey, Erza. So you saw him too?"
"Oh, hey Levy... No I didn't..."
"He just came to the library a while ago, but left as soon as he came in. I don't think he saw me... "
"So.. he's really back??"
"I'm dead sure it was Jellal."
"Thank you so much Levy!"
"I called because I thought he was looking for you... "
"Really? Thanks again, Levy!"
"No problem Erza! I'm glad he's back."
"I'll try to find him then!"
"Okay! Bye... Good luck!"
"Thanks! Bye."

     I went back into the kitchen and said to Laki, "Hey, I'm taking a day off... Can you manage it today?" She nodded and spoke with a smile, "Yep! Don't worry!" I smiled and replied, "Thank you so much Laki!! There's cake in the oven. It will be done in another half an hour. I'm leaving now! Bye..."

     I grabbed my bag and rushed out, dialling Jellal's number. All this time, we kept contact as friends, and never spoke about anything more. Jellal's phone was switched off, or so the lady said. I stopped in my tracks.

     'Where could he be? Let's see... He was probably looking for me... Maybe at my house? Yeah, I should check once... Why is his phone switched off anyways??' I shook my head and started walking to my house.

     On the way, I called Lucy, her plans were all in vain after all. The call rang for a long time before she answered at the last ring,
"Hey Erza!"
"Lucy, Jellal's back."
"What??!"
"Yeah, Levy saw him..  and I think he dropped by my shop. I'm looking for him right now. His phone is dead too..."
"Oh my goodness... I'll let everyone know! Ohh, we'll have to prepone all plans... Erza, do me a favour and call Gray? He might even know where Jellal is!"
"Yeah, I'll call him..."
"Okay then, see you soon!"
"Yeah, bye!"

     I ended the call and dialled Gray. He picked up instantly,
"Hello Erza.."
"Hello Gray. Did you meet Jellal?"
"Jellal?? He's not here... What are you talking about?"
"He's back... I mean, Levy saw him. And I think he's looking for me. He dropped by my shop and the library... I'm heading home right now. I thought you might know something..."
"No, he didn't tell me anything, that bastard..."
"Okay.. Call me if you see him or hear anything from him."
"I will... You know what Erza, I'm coming over. I'll help you search for him. I need to give him a piece of my mind."
"Fine. I'll be waiting for you at my house. With or without Jellal..."
"Cool. Be there in fifteen."
"Bye!"
"Bye."

     I turned around a corner and saw my house farther up. There was no Jellal in sight though. 'Where the hell is he?! I should try calling him again...' I tried calling Jellal again. This time, his phone was switched on, but he wasn't picking up.

______________________________________

Next Update: 30th April, 2021.
(Unless you guys want it before?
Comment when ^^)