50. Studying Hard

One week later

Jellal's POV:

     Erza and Gray came the day after my accident and every day after then. Erza sometimes came late, since she had her club. But she came every day. She taught me and Gray too sometimes, whatever was taught in class.

     Another school week started, but I was still in the hospital bed. The doctor said that the bone will take atleast 3 weeks to heal. Maybe even 4... That was a problem, since we had preliminary examination in school before the university exams in March.

     The hospital room door opening brought me out of my thoughts. The steady sound of scribbling caused by Gray doing his homework stopped as he too looked at the door to see Erza enter.

     "I'm sorry, I came as fast as I could." Erza said, breathing fast and shallow. I shook my head, "It's okay. You saying it everytime isn't going to change the fact that you need to go to the cooking club. And it's okay. You're helping us so much, I'm thankful that you bother to..."

     "Yeah, okay." She turned to Gray and asked him, "Did you tell him about the homework?" She took a seat next to Gray. Gray nodded and replied, "Yes. He was waiting for you."

     "That's great. And... I heard... I just heard from someone in our club, that the preliminary exam will be in the first or second week of February. You better heal up fast." Erza said and pointed her pen at me.

     "That's fast... I hope it's the second week. I'll probably be all better by then." I said, thinking about what she said. It didn't look good at all.

     Erza took out some books from her bag and we started studying, in my case, catching up on today's notes. Gray gave his inputs from time to time, also while asking questions about the parts he didn't understand. We made a nice little study group.

     By the time we were done, as it was on days Erza had her club, it was about 7:30 pm. When Erza and Gray started to leave, I said, "Thank you both, so much." I smiled, hoping my gratitude reached them.

     "No problem, bro!" Gray said to me and Erza just smiled. Then they left, leaving me to myself. I sighed heavily and slouched on the bed.

     One would think that I'd be over Erza by now. It wasn't like I didn't think about it or that I wasn't trying. But, everytime I saw her, everytime I talked to her, I didn't want to stop liking her. I couldn't make up reasons to not like her.

     I hit myself mentally for that. I couldn't afford to think about these things when I had important exams coming up. I needed to put these feelings aside for a while. So I did. I had time for it later. Not much, but enough.

     I streched my hand and grabbed the history book with my fingers, and leaned back. 'Start studying Jellal! You gotta get into the University...' I sighed and opened the book, grabbing a pencil with my other hand.

One week later

Erza's POV:

     I stared at the paper in my hand, reading and rereading it. 'The exams are from February 6th... Till 10th. Oh god, the first paper is maths.'

     I wondered if it was good thing. If Jellal would have healed by then. I turned to my right and glanced at Gray, but he was too absorbed in the paper in his hand.

Late Afternoon

Erza's POV:

     I sat next to Gray in Jellal's hospital room, watching Jellal read the exam timetable. He looked up at us and said, "Well, that's not so bad. My leg dosen't hurt so much and the doctor did say it was healing nicely."

     "You sure you'll be able to make it?" I asked him. He nodded. "You do know that the school can send a supervisor here with the paper for you right?" I asked him again. He nodded, "Yes, but I don't think I'll need it."

     "Well, it won't hurt to apply for it though." Gray said, sitting next to me with his hands folded. "I mean, just in case. We can cancel it if your leg heals completely." Jellal though about it for a second and said, "Okay... I don't mind, I guess."

     "Great. I'll apply for you tomorrow in school." Gray said, releasing his hands and pulling out his notes. I too, took out my books and said, "Levy said she'd like to join us. She'll come tomorrow.."

     "Oh, that's great. She's good at that history stuff." Gray said, grinning. I smiled as I gave my notes to Jellal.

     That month, we studied the hardest we probably ever did in our life. After that day, Lucy, Juvia and even Natsu joined us regularly, with occasional visits from Wendy, Laxus and Gajeel.

     Jellal was able to give his preliminary exams in school and didn't even have to wear the damn cast, as he called it. We all got good marks, good enough to be able to get into our respective universities and colleges.

     Ofcourse, the time after the preliminaries was the hardest. We studied for the actual entrance examinations. We had study groups at almost everyone's house. Almost everyone cause we didn't go to Natsu's house. By unanimous agreement.

     As the exams came nearer, our worries only increased. There was nothing to do but study. With small breaks in between, we worked hard for our dreams.

______________________________________

Next Update: 8th Feb, 2021