31. Exams.

One week later

Jellal's POV:

     As February came to a start, the weather had started to become a little warmer. Still, I shivered as a cold breeze passed by. It took a lot from me over the past month to let go of Erza. The fact that I let her be around me didn't help, but I had only myself to blame.

     I could now say that she was nothing more than a friend to me. I walked through the familiar corridors towards my classroom and took a seat. 'Funny... I couldn't do that for months... and now that she rejected me... Well, I can say that I don't feel anything for her... But friends? Were we now?'

     I looked out of the window and rested my chin on my plam. Students had started to fill the classroom. 'Friends are what Gray, Natsu, Laxus and Gajeel are to me... What do Erza or any of her friends mean to me? Erza might be something of a friend... maybe...?'

     I grabbed my head and shook it. 'Why does it have to be so confusing?!' I tried to not think about it and decided to just grow our friendship through interaction.

     Our homeroom teacher entered the class and everyone fell silent. We bowed and settled down. He took attendance and before starting to teach, he said, "Your exams will be starting in March, as you all know..."

     A unanimous groan resounded throughout the classroom. He continued, "You'll have your exams in the first week. So, I expect you all to start studying now. You have less than a month. You will get good marks only if you study hard."

     At this point, more than half of the class had stopped paying attention to him. Wether he realised this, I didn't know, but he continued, "The teachers would be happy to help. You only need to study and ask anything you don't understand."

     'Exams huh... Again...' I sighed. The teacher started to teach and I started taking notes. 'Let's get working then...'

Lunch

Erza's POV:

     The news of exams, though expected was not taken as such. It felt as though everyone wanted to believe them to be far away. We, on the other hand, had Levy starting on studies the moment the teachers announced them.

     It was a good thing though, to have a start now, when we had time. So, at lunch, as we sat together at the table, the only subject was 'studying'.

     Laxus, Gray and Jellal were the only ones who looked even remotely relaxed. Natsu had his hand in his hair since the topic started. Gajeel was unusually silent and keen to not join in the conversation.

     Levy was giving us tips on how to study for History, the worst to study for. Then, she turned towards the boys and asked, "How do you guys do it?" Gray shrugged and said, "Like everyone else I guess. Good memory."

     Laxus, on the other hand, said, "I start 'studying' from the start... If I don't understand something, then just go to the teacher..." Natsu intervened at this point, saying, "This is not the time for teachers..." He turned to Laxus and Jellal and said, "Tutor me! I don't understand what the teachers teach..."

     Wendy spoke up in a tiny voice, "How about we have a study group?" Lucy beamed and said, "That's a good idea! We could meet at my house... But I'll have to ask Father." Natsu said, "We can meet at mine... I'm sure my dad won't mind." 

     But his suggestion was shot down by four, definite 'No's from the other boys. "Well, my house is always free..." Jellal spoke slowly. "So is mine." I added. "Juvia dosen't mind either!" Juvia piped. "Well..." Gray said, "...let's do 'rock paper scissors'. Whoever wins will choose whose house we go to."

     So we did 'rock paper scissors'. After a couple of rounds, only Gray and Natsu were remaining. Gray pulled out a rock and beat Natsu's scissors. "Aha! We'll go to..." He gave a little thought to it before saying, "Jellal's house!" He looked at Jellal.

     Jellal replied with a shrug, "Sure... How about this weekend?" There were nods and hums and words of agreement, and we decided to meet at Jellal's house this weekend.

Weekend

Jellal's POV:

     I made sure that everything in the house was spic and span, before relaxing and taking out the books I needed for the group study. 'Natsu will need tutoring for Science and Maths... I should take out the guidebooks to explain...'

     When I had all I needed in the living room, I checked my watch. '8:54 am. They would be arriving anytime now...' We had decided to meet at 9 am, have lunch at my place and study till about 4 pm. Same for the next day.

     I rushed to the door as I heard the shrill sound of the doorbell ringing. I opened the door to see Gray and Natsu. They came in and removed their mufflers, placing them on the couch.

     Slowly, we were joined by the girls, Gajeel and Laxus. By 9:15 am, we were seated in a circle on the floor of my living room, books all around us. As expected, Natsu had a lot to ask me and I helped him in whatever I could.

     Lucy and Wendy were managing just well, asking Levy anything they needed. Ocasinally, a question came to me and I solved it for them, but other than that, there wasn't much conversation.

     Juvia was seated next to Gray, who was answering anything she needed. I looked over to Erza, who seemed to be doing fine by herself. If she needed anything, she would ask Levy or Gray. 'Why won't she ask me?' I felt guilty for thinking that at once.

     I focused on the History textbook in front of me. After a while, Natsu poked me in the side, asking, "Hey, Jellal... How do I do this sum?" I explained it to him and by the end of it, it seemed that he had gotten the hang of it.

     After a while, the doorbell range, I checked the time and was surprised to find that it was past twelve already. I said to the others, "Guys, it's time for a break. Let's have lunch." There were sounds of books slapping close and pens being capped.

     I went to the door and took the boxes of pizza that we had ordered. We took seats on the sofa and feasted on the pizza that we had ordered. We talked about absolutely random stuff. Though, maybe is was not so random as everyone was fixed on avoiding the subject of studies.

     As we talked, expectedly enough, the question came, "Where are your parents, Jellal?" From none other than Erza. I answered, "Dead. Long ago." Her eyes widened a bit and she looked awkward, saying, "I-I'm sorry!" I waved it off, "It's okay. It was along time ago."

     Other than that, the rest of the session was uneventful. As I closed the door behind me after everyone left, I thought, 'We have definitely come closer over the past month... As friends.'

______________________________________

Next Update: 8th June, 2020.