54. After Party

Jellal's POV:

     I didn't know what came over me, but I asked her to walk with me. I supressed my blush when she nodded and took her wrist. I wanted to show her my favourite place in the school.

     We walked along the grounds towards the backyard. Before reaching the backyard though, I stopped at a cluster of trees and looked at Erza, saying, "This place is very beautiful... I'm not sure if it will look beautiful at night, but it's really pretty."

     She smiled at me and said, "I would love to see that place." I let go of her wrist and asked her to follow me into the trees.

     I smiled as I saw the pathway, lined by the trees, moonlight filtering through the leaves. During the day, the sunlight would have filtered through the leaves, giving it a golden glow. But the moonlight made it look like a place where fairies reside.

     Erza stepped up next to me and I heard her whisper, "It's so pretty..." I smiled, glad that she liked it. She looked at me, a radiant smile on her face and said, "It's so beautiful, Jellal! I love it!"

     She unbuttoned the coat and spread her arms, looking up at the canopy of leaves, the moonlight and the stars that peeked from between the leaves. I followed her as she walked ahead, taking everything in.

     She looked like a fairy, dancing under the moonlight. I didn't realize I was staring at her still she stopped walking and looked directly into my eyes. We were at the end of the path.

     She smiled and leaned against a tree next to her, "It's really beautiful Jellal..." I nodded and said, "I know." I stood closer to her. She said, "Thank you... for everything." My heart skipped a beat.

     She was looking into my eyes with such sincerity, I blushed and said, "Thank you to you too... for everything." She nodded and we stood there in comfortable silence.

     She looked at me and I looked back into her eyes. She was smiling as she said, "You changed so much.. from the time I first met you." I laughed nervously and said, "It's all thanks to you... The change was for the better."

     She blushed flattered and nodded, accepting my gratefulness. It felt like we shared a special connection. Hidden in the trees, I could still see people leaving the gym. The party was over and I still hadn't told her what I wanted to.

     I looked into her brown eyes and asked her, "Would you... miss me if I went away?" She seemed surprised by the question, but she said without hesitation, "Yes, ofcourse."

     I slowly took a step closer to Erza. We were so close, I could count her eyelashes. Out bodies were almost touching. I asked her, breathlessly, "What if I said I was going to go away for a long, long time?"

     "Why would you ask that? I would still miss you..." She said with a frown. It was almost a pout. Her big, brown eyes, looked into mine with confusion, moonlight reflected in them.  I slowly leaned in and saw them widen. I closed my eyes and filled the gap between our lips.

Erza's POV:

     I felt his soft lips upon mine. He was kissing me. He was kissing me! I was so shocked, I couldn't move. My head went blank and dizzy. I couldn't do anything. I broke out of my trance when he pulled away.

    That sudden movement away from me, made me miss his warmth. He was blushing profusely and shaking his head. "I'm so sorry... I shouldn't have. This was a mistake. I'm really sorry."

     My heart hammered against my chest. "No, wait Jellal...!" I spoke when I found my voice, but he was already running away. I chased after him, but he was faster.

     When I reached the grounds, I saw my friends, standing in a group. When I went closer I saw Jellal, being held by Gray and Gajeel. It looked like he was trying to run, but they were too strong for him.

     I approached them and Jellal saw me. He stopped struggling, and said, "Let me go. I'm not gonna run now.." Gray and Gajeel released him and stood back. Jellal rubbed his neck and said to me, "I'm sorry for running away."

     "It's okay..." I said, "Just, listen to me once. I like you too." His eyes widened, but then he frowned. He asked me, "Are you sure about that Erza?" That threw me off. I questioned him, "Why do you ask me that..?"

     He smiled sadly, "Because... There is one emotion stronger than love. It's 'guilt'. I'm afraid, that the affection you say you're feeling for me is just guilt... not love." Gray interrupted, "What are you blabbering about Jellal?"

     "I knew since the day she approached me, wanting to be friends, that she felt guilty about rejecting me harshly... I don't want that to be what our relationship will be based on." Jellal answered Gray, who just nodded.

     Jellal turned to me and said, "I think you should think about this. I'll be waiting for your answer. And I'll accept it, whatever it may be. Also, no matter what, we'll always be friends, okay?" I nodded. He did have a point. What I felt today, could have just been impulsiveness.

     "Yes. I... do need time to think about this. Thank you, Jellal." I smiled at him.

     "Okay then. Let's get going. It's pretty late, let's go home and sleep." Laxus announced and started ushering us towards the entrance like we were small kids. Gray said, "Jellal and I can drop you two off, it's late." He gestured towards Juvia as he spoke. I replied with a smile, "Okay... Thanks, Gray."

     Gajeel asked the same of Levy and Wendy, who also agreed to it. Natsu opened his mouth to say something, but Lucy interrupted him, "I'm going back with my butler.. I'm fine."

     She called someone and within a minute, there was a car standing near to us. Lucy entered after saying goodbye to us and left. Gajeel, Laxus and Natsu left with Levy and Wendy as Gray and Jellal took Juvia and I home.

     When we reached Juvia's house, she bade us good bye and went into her house. I walked over to my own, saying, "Thank you for walking us." I smiled and opened the door with my key. But before I could step in, Jellal said, "Erza, wait! I forgot to tell you one thing..."

     He scratched the back of his head sheepishly and said, "I... I'm going to Crime Sorciere University... For the next five years." To say I was surprised would be a understatement. Somehow I got the words out of me, "But isn't it... Outside of Fiore?"

______________________________________

Next Update: 28th March, 2021.