Mind the Gap

"CHONG Y/N!!!"

Y/N wakes up in a jolt. The pillow and bedsheets are soaked from the sweat that drips down his cheek.

"Bad dream?" Tzuyu suddenly appears at the door, gracefully stirring a cup of coffee.

"How long have you been watching me sleep?"

"Oh I watch everyone. I'm the security system, and i don't sleep anyways so it gets quite boring." She says as she sips her coffee and makes a face.

"Do robots normally drink coffee?" Y/N gestured to the cup.

"Not this robot." Tzuyu exclaims with diguust as she throws the cup over her shoulder and perfectly into the rubbish bin behind her. "You want to talk about that dream?"

"You got any beer around here?" Y/N asks sneakily.

The buzz of the light was distracting. Y/N felt sweat drip down his neck even though the night was freezing cold. His hands were still shaking from the nightmare he saw.

"What did you see?" Tzuyu asked, gesturing Y/N to sit at the table.

Y/N took a swig of his alcohol and put it down on the table.

"I-I saw....everyone." he stammered. "I saw Nayeon, Chaeyoung, Dahyun, Jihyo, you and a lot more laying on the ground, motionless. Their faces frozen with shock and their chests were hollowed out."

"I stood in the middle of the bodies. Guilt overwhelmed me, as if I was the cause of their deaths. I kneeled down and cradled Nayeon and Jihyo's body in my hands as tears streamed down my face. I was overcome with grief."

"A shadow loomed over me. Something big and bulky, strong yet agile. It's eyes radiated Shadow Energy, and it turned it's head to me."

"I quickly ran. I ran as fast as my feet could go. I told myself I will not stop until I got away safely."

"As the figure slammed down on me, i jumped into a portal i created, narrowly escaping death. I could hear the echoes of the figure shouting my name throughout the land."

Tzuyu sighed. "Well i dont really dream, but Jihyo sometimes has nightmares too, and they always revolve around death and struggle of her friends and family. I document most of these and she has them every time she's near Shadow Energy."

"So you're saying this is because of Shadow Energy?"

"It's a working theory." Tzuyu sighed. "By any chance, did you get a good look at those bodies?"

"Yeah. But i don't recognize 4 of them."

"By any chance, did one look like this?" Tzuyu formed a hologram of a picture in her hand.

"The moles on her face, she looks exactly the same!" Y/N gasped.

"This is Myoui Mina. Herald #37. She works here too." Tzuyu explained.

"Where is she?"

"She's on an expedition to Shadow's castle. Estimated time of coming back is 2 days." Tzuyu revealed.

It went silent for a bit. Both parties didn't know how to continue the conversation.

"Are you able to sleep now?" Tzuyu asked.

"Yeah." He took one last drink from the bottle before discarding the rubbish. Suddenly, a blinding light pierced the curtains.

"Well, crap. The sun's up." Y/N cursed.

"Good morning guys." Jihyo suddenly greeted from upstairs.

"Good morning to you too, Jihyo." Y/N looked up and saw Jihyo in some cute pajamas.

Tzuyu smacked Y/N's shoulder, knocking him back to reality

Tzuyu smacked Y/N's shoulder, knocking him back to reality. He didn't realize he was staring.

"Don't get your hopes up." Tzuyu joked and went upstairs to wake everyone else up.

"I ran the tests last night, and i can conclude two things, Y/N." Jihyo grabbed some papers off her desk and laid them out in the table.

"You are able to manipulate Shadow energy to a point where nobody else can." Jihyo concluded.

"The shadow pill, or TD-9, connects the user to the Shadow Mind. Which then feeds them the Shadow energy to use in battle." Tzuyu explained. "Problem is, shadow energy will corrupt a user after long exposure. This is why we left the limit at 10 minutes."

"Overdosing on the pill can lead someone weak-minded to do things that are destructive and harmful to others." Jihyo spoke, as if she had experienced it before.  

Dahyun raised her hand. "What's the Shadow Mind??"

"The Shadow Mind is the source of all Shadow Energy. It's what escaped the sphere during the Corruption." Jihyo answered.

"That doesn't explain how I'm able to literally manipulate Shadow energy like Shadow." Y/N piped up.

"That's why I got suspicious." Tzuyu butted in. "I ran a DNA test with your saliva on that alcohol bottle."

"I was gonna do that, but that works too." Jihyo scratched her chin.

"And what are the results?" Nayeon butted in.

"You are Shadow's descendant."