𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

"thank you" she said, holding back her tears.

in all honesty, vienna didn't know why she called wilbur. arabella was only across the hall anyways. maybe because she didn't want to wake her after the long stream, or maybe she just wanted to see him.

maybe she just wanted to be able to talk to him like the night at the park. she had no actual answer, just possibilities her mind threw at her.

"anytime. i'm always here for you." he wanted to ask why she called. he noticed her red knuckles and her puffy eyes, wondering what could've happened. "is there something you wanted to talk about?"

she only looked down, contemplating on what to do next. she took his hand and led him toward the sand. once sitting side by side, she let the tears flow. he engulfed her in a hug, letting her talk when she was ready.

she slowly lifted her head, looking up at the stars. "you know, my brother was my best friend. i don't think a day went by where we wouldn't spend hours talking about what we loved. i remember one time he took me to our roof and we just stared at the stars, pointing out the brightest ones every so often. and right before we went inside he told me 'we'll never be apart under the same set of stars.'" she wiped the tears that once again formed in her eyes.

"what do you mean was?" he asked, genuine curiosity in his voice. he wasn't sure if what he was asking may be pushing it, but it was too late to take back now.

"well four years ago, when i was around 18, he committed suicide. kind of the whole reason i came here. i couldn't stand living in the house where he stopped living. that and after he died, my parents, mostly my mother, were really hard on me. the abuse, manipulation, plus everything else i had going on since he passed... it was all too much."

"i'm sorry about that. i know what it's like to lose someone, it sticks for years and years. the pain doesn't go away but you learn to go on with it sometimes." he wasn't quite sure what to say.

they both sat in silence again, this time for longer. all that could be heard were the waves crashing and their heavy breaths. they loved the silence, but when they were together, they hated it. they loved conversing, hearing one another's voice. it was comforting for them.

they remained in silence, both too afraid to say anything. a few more minutes passed before vienna finally spoke, this time clearer. "why'd you leave?"

the change in silence brought wilbur back to reality. hesitating to answer her question. "well like i said the day we met, i was only there for a short period of time. i hadn't expected to be up late with you, not that i minded, but when i woke the next day my train was leaving soon. so, i rushed out. believe me, i wished i had left a note of some kind but i had to go. i even went back months later, but you weren't there anymore."

vienna looked down once again. "oh. sorry for almost making you late then." they both laughed softly. "but what do you mean you came back months later? i moved out like six months after we met."

how was wilbur supposed to tell her it was because he loved her. that he went back eight months later because something about her just drew him to her. how does he say something like that.

"well it was actually eight months after we met that i went back. honestly, i missed you. that night we spent in the park was something i really needed. meeting you couldn't have been at a more perfect time. i enjoyed the time we spent, from bumping into each other on the street to the library and even watching the movie on your sofa. it was one of the best nights of my life. i went to these cities for those eight months and every city i went to, i bought you something. that's why i went back. i wanted to give you those things. i knew how much you liked to travel and i just thought you'd like it." his voice falter at the last few words.

his sentences only made vienna smile, her cheeks growing a faint red and her stomach erupting in butterflies. "awh i'm sorry i wasn't there to receive them. i bet they were beautiful tho." she pulled out her phone, checking the time. "gosh wil it's already four in the morning. i've got work in a few hours, i'm sorry i really have to go."

they both stood up, hand in hand, laughing. "it's alright. it was really nice to see you again, vienna." she gave him a soft smile, "it was nice seeing you too, wil."

they both hugged before she made her way back to her car, wilbur doing the same. neither knew what this meant for their friendship, or if they could even call it that, but what they did know was that they couldn't tell arabella about this. it'd ruin things for the both of them.

author's note
:]