Pleasing A Storm

Eunhee stared at Seonghwa. She was trying to read his expression, but nothing showed. As always, Seonghwa's face was expressionless. He would once in a while glance at his boney fingers that were interlocked as if trying to make a decision. 

"Explain yourself now," said Eunhee. Deep down, as she studied his face, she could feel that even though his face was blank, Seonghwa felt guilt. 

"I---" Seonghwa stopped the moment he began, then got up from his chair, "I don't know how to put this as simply as possible without sounding like a moron."

"Entertain me," she mocked, "I don't care how it sounds. I want to know the truth."

Seonghwa sighed, then looked at her as he tried to calm his sweaty palms. He had no choice but to tell her the truth. Yet he was still unsure if he needed to tell her the whole truth. When he had asked Mingi about what he should do, Mingi had suggested to tell her the whole truth. But Wooyoung had protested against it, warning Seonghwa that if they were to tell Eunhee about their original purpose here, she would pull away, or maybe even inform her cop brother. 

And the last thing Seonghwa needed was Eunhee pulling away from him. 

"I'm a member of The Pirate Kings," Seonghwa began his explanation, trying to sound as serious yet non-threatening, as possible, "We're a group of 8 members including Mingi and I. Yesterday, the three men who dropped into our room were Hongjoong- our leader, San and Yunho. The others are Yeosang, Wooyoung and Jongho."

"And San has powers...?"

"They're called Peculiarities. Out of 8, three of us are Peculiars. San has the peculiarity to teleport, and Mingi is a clairvoyant. And I..."

Eunhee stood up, walking closer to him as he trailed off before telling her about his peculiarity. She watched as his eyes became sad when he was about to tell her. But to her, whatever it was, it couldn't be that bad. 

"You have powers--I mean, you're a Peculiar?" Eunhee asked, stepping closer to him. By now, she was close enough to feel the cold radiating from his body. Seonghwa looked at her, his eye weighing down with a tint of sorrow. He closed his eyes for a second, but when they opened Eunhee felt her breathing hitch. 

His eyes, which were generally dark as a night sky, were glowing bright blue. 

Seonghwa raised his hand up, which looked like it had been frosted with ice, while chilled vapours sublimated from his hands like it was dry ice. Eunhee involuntarily reached out for his hand that looked like it had been frozen on sub-zero temperature. But Seonghwa pulled away nervously. Eunhee's lips quivered and she felt her heart ached at his reluctance. It reminded her of the time when she was a pre-teen, and her powers had started manifesting in larger amounts which made it impossible to control. The look in Seonghwa's eyes was exactly the same look that Eunhee had when Taehyung had tried to console her. 

It was fear. 

Fear not for his own safety, but fear that he might hurt someone else. 

But when she couldn't reach his arm, she rested her palm against his hollow cheek, closing her eyes when a tinge of pain surged through her body upon contact with his ice frigid skin. Seonghwa gaped at her with astonished awe. He had just tried to avoid hurting her, yet she was still so close to him. Not scared, not bothered. 

"That's why your touch was freezing that night," she mumbled, causing him to finally blink. Eunhee opened her eyes with a small smile, then gazed into his blue eyes with wonder, "They're beautiful."

"It's...cryokinesis," he spoke softly, enjoying the warmth of her skin against his. 

Finding themselves barely apart, Eunhee's hand brushed against Seonghwa's frozen one, causing her to jerk back in surprise and snap out of his mesmerising eyes. Both of them smiled unwittingly, moving a few steps back.