My Sister's Keeper

The dry leaves rustled and crunched underneath Hani's tiny feet as she walked briskly towards her usual spot in the playground. Clutching onto her books close to her chest, she stared down at the ground, avoiding just about anyone or anything that was around her. It was a five-minute walk to the park, then another two-minute stroll to her favourite bench, where she would spend the next hour just going through her textbooks, or encyclopedias on animals and human anatomy. 

That had been her routine ever since she had started middle school almost two years ago. And the best way to escape her mother's watchful eye every evening after school. 

"Hey, watch out!"

Hani's head shot up, as she overheard one of the boys call out in her direction. Her eyes immediately landed on the ball that was speeding right at her. Unable to do much, Hani jut clutched onto her book and shut her eyes, ready to get hit by the ball. 

But nothing really happened. 

Instead, when she opened her shaking eyes, she noticed a shadow cast on herself by another person standing in front of her. There were a few gasps in the playground, as Hani got up, finally registering the person in front of her, who wasn't a boy or an elder but a girl, probably around her age. 

The girl's back was to Hani's face, as she bent over and picked the ball up, "Watch where you kick!" she called out before throwing the ball in their direction. The ball slammed into on of the boys knocking the air out of him and causing him to double over. Ignoring him, she turned around to face Hani. 

Hani sucked in some air, her mouth agape at the girl. Slightly taller than her, the girl had long dark brown hair tied into a high pony, while her skin glistened as the sunlight fell over her slightly sweaty face. But there was something about her deep chocolate coloured eyes that left Hani awestruck. It was as if they were shining. 

Never in her entire 14 years of existence had Hani seen such a specimen of a person that was probably her age. 

"Are you alright?" the girl asked in a slightly nasal voice. 

Hani nodded, stuttering out a response, "Ye-Yes."

"You should look up when you're walking in a playground," the girl chided her, "What if it would have hit you?"

Hani rubbed the back of her neck, embarrassed but then something struck her. She inspected the girl, giving her a good look from head to toe, then asked, "Aren't you hurt? The ball hit you right?"

Immediately nervous, the girl laughed, "No-No. It wasn't that fast."

Hani then glanced at the boys playing foot, having seen the one who had doubled over from getting hit by the ball. She narrowed her eyes for a moment, sure that the girl was lying to her. But decided not to prod too much. After all, it was her pesky, constantly curious demenour that drove people away from her in the first place. And she liked this girl. 

"I'm Eunhee," the girl reached her hand out, "Kim Eunhee. I recently moved here."

Hani staired at the girl's hand outstretched in front of her. She wanted to shake her hand, and had introduced herself to her first. It was something that hadn't happened to Hani in a long time. She was, after all a nerdy loner. 

But something told her that this peculiar girl's appearance would change the course of her life. 

"I'm Choi Hani," she replied, shaking her hand with a timid smile. 

"So...what're you reading?" Eunhee peered at the books in her hand, her eyes glinting with curiosity. 

Hani bit her lip, shrugging, "Just an encyclopedia on the animal kindgom."