○ Act I | Chapter II

Cigno Fanciulla Act I: Sinfonia Sparza
《Chapter II - A Conspiracy》

Oh how lovely! This opportunity is rare most especially as it is to another family of high standing! Your daughter will finally have some dignity to this clan by uniting two supreme forces

What awaited for me at the dinner hall, were the clan elders seated at their respectful places - falling silent upon my arrival. There remained my seat at the farthest end, mirroring my father's position. At first, it was to show that we were at equal footing, but today it meant to ridicule my previous actions that led to its consequences.

"Good evening, grand elders." I started of the greeting as I shifted my gaze from one to another, then I faced in front as I continued, "Good evening, father. Please excuse my tardiness to this dinner." With my apology and greeting, I bowed low to show my respect.

Once I had been acknowledged, I lifted my head and gracefully sat down. It was time for the actual dinner hall to start.

"As the elders and I have come to a conclusion, we hope that you have sincerely reflected on your actions." My father stated, to which I responded with a firm yet silent "yes."

Seeming pleased, he resumed from where he left off as he said, "Very well. Let me keep it short: you are to meet the son of the Ahane Clan tomorrow morning. Your duty is to win his favour to ensure a bridge between the two precious clans that served a history to Raiden Shogun's glory. I expect that you will not be a disgrace - not again."

His voice came out almost threatening with the last sentence of his statement. It was an order, and it was my duty to see it happen as they willed for me to do so as they please. Lucky for them, I do intend to win his favour. This way, I could gain an ally who could possibly assure my escape from this wretched place.

"I understand, father. I will not do harm nor cause tarnish to our clan's respectful name." I swore as an oath to the dinner hall, and naturally - had their guards down against the harm I could possibly cause at the near end.

For all they cared, I was terrified of the harsh treatment. They thought that I would not dare cross their orders ever again. So, to this, they held a toast. And to this, a feast was held in preparation for tomorrow's hopeful success.

They were happily drinking their sake [rice-wine] fermented with sweet plums, a faint scent of the fruit spread throughout the hall with the slightest hint of alcohol. Cheers! They laugh and merrily eat away the splendid delicacies on the table, each presented in grandiose splendor.

Ah. How would they feel if they knew of my true intentions with this arrangement?

Oddly enough, I could have cared less. However, I could feel a slight bubble of excitement forming within the pits of my stomach - like fluttering butterflies one gets in the face of an individual they harbor feelings of admiration for. This was new for me as all these new emotions swell up, and as I acknowledge that I am capable of such.