○ Act I | Chapter IV

Cigno Fanciulla Act I: Sinfonia Sparza
《Chapter IV - Unforeseen Circumstances》

The trail was long, and the path was filled of danger, yet the day was kinder in warmth than the night cruel in cold - leading those who brave the dangers of the dusk, be stealthier in the breaks of dawn

The sun was high up when we arrived at the next point of our destination. It was still quite far from the water side, yet it also was very near.

To our joy and excitement, this other base had plenty to do with for lunch and dinner - it even had enough so that we could bring food to our journey. As Eiji said, it must have been his contact who left the goods - seeming so that they even left an insignia as proof of their service.

"Alright. After lunch, you get some rest and I'll keep watch this time." He said, while I was skillfully chopping boar meat.

His kindness, it was good. But we're both on this journey as companions so I rejected the offer, "It's alright. I'm quite used to keeping up without sleeping for days. Thank you for the offer, but I'll have to decline and stay up alert with you."

As I turn to look him in the eyes, I found his baffled expression which served as quite a view. This was fun, seeing someone show such an array of emotions I've never seen from before. I didn't know what kind of expression I had though. Would it be a gentle smile like Atsuko said, or would it be a different one?

Just then, Eiji cleared up his throat and sent a glare my way - now he donned a bit more of authority and force in his projection, but I did not dislike it. So, I gave him my full attention while I await for him to speak.

"It wasn't an offer - it is an order." He stated firmly, breaking the silence.

"Very well then. I'll rest after this." I responded, resuming back to my task of cooking food.

I may have not seen it, but I could forge the image of Eiji smiling proud and glad that his word - his order was followed. I..

I want him to be happy more often.

Was what I kept to myself, swearing a small oath to try and follow through his orders as much as it was reasonable enough - as long as it could bring him happiness.

By the time I was done cooking, we shared yet another hearty meal before I rested my back against my bag; my consciousness slowly fleeting away with the audible words soon diminishing into incoherent silence.

"The Bakufu has insisted orders: search for the traitors. Failure to accomplish such task shall lead to grave consequences!"

..was what I overheard as the events unfolded in this dreamscape. I could feel anger behind the throne of power, and I felt it's lightning gaze stare back into mine with ferocity. My body stiffened, my words were at a loss - this indeed was the paralyzing fear her authority reigned even behind the thin silk veil that hid her face.