○ Act I | Epilogue

Cigno Fanciulla Act I: Sinfonia Sparza
《Epilogue - Beneath the Mask》

"So, you've finally chosen to show off your true colors." My companion taunted. He knew of what had been going on, he had enough knowledge yet chose to wait for the moment we unmasked ourselves.

Scaramouche stood there at the entrance, purple electricity cackling around him as he approached ever so slowly with all of his rage towards Kaeya.

"Didn't you hear me? I said let go of her, she belongs to me. She belongs to the Fatui!" He growled in an animalistic manner.

"We have the same cause don't we - the abyss and the Fatui? So, why ever would you think I'd let her go?" Kaeya bit back with a sing-song voice.

Growing impatient with every minute passing, Scaramouche and I grew closer to being caught by Mondstat's Knights. If these two boys can't handle their emotions, I'll have to at least do something. Using my vision, I conjured icicles to seal of the entrances of the chapel. Once I was sure that I bought us a little bit of time, I gave a peck on Kaeya's cheek rendering him off guard before knocking him out by hitting a pressure point at the base of his neck.

He fell into my arms, sleeping soundly as I lay him down on the balcony. Scaramouche watched my every move, confused yet glad - still somewhat drunk but borderline almost sober.

"Did you just kiss that vermin?" He asked dumbfounded.

"What of it? We have to go now! Sober the fuck up, Eiji!" I whisper-yelled in response, breaking away from my usual stoic composure.

Having no patience for any more of these type of questions, I frowned and took him by the wrist before running off and gliding down from the chapel to outside the borders of Mondstat. He resisted quite a bit which led us to have a shaky landing on the grass.

"After the Fatui! Secure the perimeters!" Jean's voice boomed, yet it was sad how she'd look so betrayed if she caught me red-handed.

"Grand Master Jean, let me do my duties! I can glide and locate them faster. I'm the second best option now that Captain Kaeya has been knocked out cold!" Amber chirped from a distance that I could still hear her voice.

We had to keep moving. I can't be found. I don't want to play the bad guy -

"This is quite disappointing. To think you were part of the Fatui all this time?" A familiar voice spoke out, his heavy footsteps following after.

I already knew who it was, yet I mustered the strength to meet them eye-to-eye. There in front of us was Diluc, carrying his claymore ever so ready to engage in a fight.

Just before I could say or do anything, Scaramouche stood in front of me, shielding me from the master of Dawn Winery. He seemed to have sobered up enough to pull on his snarky remarks, "What did you expect? Fenella's one of our best spies. Now, get out of my sight and I'll spare your life for being so helpful to my lovely assistant."

Hearing his words, Diluc looked at me with disgust, "My brother genuinely liked you. Mondstat truly appreciated your kindness, but to think it was all a ploy of the Fatui. This is unforgivable." He then proceeded to draw his claymore at us, about to land a clean strike of Pyro energy - but he suddenly fell to the ground, crouching in pain.

That's when I realized it had been my companion's doing. He struck quite the electric current from Diluc's feet, and took advantage of the heightened production of energy within his body as he charged his weapon with Pyro. In short, he used the momentum of Diluc's attack to his advantage - sending the man on the floor, and his claymore flying to the body of water nearby.

"I warned you. Be thankful I'm feeling quite generous. The next time we meet, your nation of Freedom will burn into ashes. Oh wait, why not now! Do it Fenella, dance for me! Dance in fire for me!" Scaramouche ordered, feeling crazed and sinister with every inch of his being.

Despite loving this nation, I need to remember where my loyalties lie. I am not a friend of Mondstat, I am the weapon of her Lady the Tsaritsa. Submitting to his orders, I took out my pyro delusion and set the lands of Mondstat ablaze in a fiery dance. Soon as I did, we jumped down to board the empty boat by the docks with the Fatui agents taking hold of the wheel as part of their duties to get us back to Snezhnaya after our little stunt.

The farther we got, the more I saw how brilliantly Mondstat burned from a distance from the flames I conjured. I was about to feel my heart sink and break, knowing that people I once cared for had been suffering. I didn't mean to go this far, I actually hoped things were of a minimal damage when my cover would be blown but I-

"Beautiful." The Balladeer muttered, he spoke as if I took his breath away.

His words made me forget all of my worries, as they now faded into the wind in a blink of an eye. All I could think of now was how Scaramouche uttered a word that sent the fire in my heart to burn a wild flame. He stared at me so lovingly, holding in so much pride in me as I followed into his orders - reminding me of the oath I made to him years ago back when we were children.

"Say, swear to me right now Fenella. Before we go.. Renew to me your oath." He caught my attention as he held my hand, rested his cheek on it before planting a kiss on it as his gaze bore holes into me - making the butterflies flutter even more, so wildly I feared he'd hear the drumming of my heart.

"Will you dance for the Balladeer, and solely dance for me?" He asked, awaiting my response while he sent me on a rollercoaster of emotions.

Grabbing all of the happiness that I could feel in my being caused by him, I smiled happily before I said-

"I swear to only dance for you. Yes, I will dance for the Balladeer named Scaramouche."