● Act II | Chapter V

Cigno Fanciulla Act II: Notte di Luna
《Chapter V - Moonlit Night》

On that night, a cool breeze passes by that ushered wishes of a hopeful man: his dream of reuniting with his lover by the lakeside underneath the starry sky - one where each of their promises lie.

Evenings in Liyue were a sight to behold for any other. It was mystical, alike to the stories told by poets to the common folk - even extending to those written down with ink on paper. Truthfully, my weary soul sought after rest. It was no wonder how tired I've came to be. After all, was it not me who purposely sacrificed a sleepless night; was it not I who trudged through the day of catching up with the past and present? It may seem as if I've grown weak, yet it was to be expected.

Our expedition had ended only recently, and I chose not to rest for a single second after our arrival. The concept of time has messed up with my system - crippled to bits as emotions fuelled by selfish desires had arose from within.

Looking back on my actions, I knew I had to apologize for the people I've treated badly. By people, I meant Childe. He was only trying to be mindful over me due to my condition, yet I pushed him away again. How could I do such a thing to the kid who only had me as his family within the Fatui?

"Feathers?" His voice rang throughout the halls I walked through.

That's when I noticed his silhouette: back rested on the pillars, with his mop of messy ginger hair that stuck out from its usual form and tired ocean deep eyes - implying that he had waited by the post where I left him earlier. Just the notion of it makes my heart sink.

How cruel can I be?

Saving time and effort for the young lad, I made my way towards him in order to wrap my arms around him as I rested my forehead onto his chest. Sighing, while I held him tightly, "I've been too harsh on you, Ajax. I apologize sincerely."

I felt his chest rise from breathing in deeply, then heard him clearing his throat as his hands made its way to return the gesture by nestling me in his arms. His chin rested upon my shoulder with his back bent forward just a bit, slumping his weight on my tiny figure.

"I'm sorry too. I should've backed down when you made it clear that you're not interested in me. But this is unfair." He sighs, holding me just a bit tighter as if he were terrified I'd slip away from his hold and disappear forever. His breath tickles my ear while he whispers in a low voice, "It's unfair of you to lead me on like this. I just might think I have a chance with you."

I suddenly had an urge to pull away, but his strength encased me in his territory for a little more - clinging onto me desperately like a terrified little kid. "On second thought, I'll be satisfied just to stay by your side."

"Alright, you can stay." I told him, which caused him to ease his grip on me. Before he could speak further, I gently pulled him away and met him with my gaze.

He froze up, looking rejected. "It's been hard on you for acting as the breadwinner of your family so I understand that you were in need of someone to rely on." That's right, these are words he needs to hear.

"What I'm trying to say is that you feel a familial bond with me, Ajax. And that you'll never lose me - I just can't and won't see you romantically." The moment these words left my mouth, I caught a glimpse of his crying face.

His tears glistened underneath the pale moonlight like diamonds of the purest kind, his cheeks and nose were flushed red, and his lips pursed as he seemed to hold back the strained voice that would sing choruses of a sad song.