□ Act III | Chapter VIII

Cigno Fanciulla Act III: Armonia Entropica
《Chapter VIII - Dissonance》

"The threads of fate are unravelling, and so we come undone - one by one - greeted by a bitter truth."

Victory, although amassing an amount of but a small triumph, was celebrated at the Tomoe Estate of Higi Village. Troops recuperated throughout the evening at the quarters, while other arrangements have taken place at the conference hall - gathering the generals and the captains for a meeting: on general warfare, and on resources.

"Lady Yukiko has agreed to watch over the area covered by the Tomoe Estate's influence in Yashiori Island. Therefore, we shall return to Watatsumi Island." Kokomi stated as she served as the head to this conference.

Nodding in affirmation to what had been said, I added, "Please rest assure that my experience shall not fail me. All I require is that you take care of the Traveler for my sake."

A fair deal it was deemed, and smoothly did the meeting come to a closure after a few revisions on strategy: one where most of their troops will return to their rightful stations, and where some are to remain under my jurisdiction along with the Tomoe Clan's newly appointed soldiers. Moreover, it may be for the best that Aether joins them to Watatsumi Island as to allow my affairs with the Fatui be tended to in secrecy.

Given the nature of the Fatui, their previous misdeeds in pursuit of honor and glory, as well as the scorn it had gained throughout the years - I have a bad feeling that, should Aether ever be there when I meet with my comrades, things won't end well.

Which is how I can look at this young man with such sincerity paired by guilt, and say the words of affirmation within my heart.

At least, for now, parting ways would bring to us the best outcome. 

"Paimon's sad that we have to leave Yukiko behind, but Paimon understands that our assistance would better help the Resistance." She says, entertaining me as the Traveler packs his belongings while bidding farewells to the servants of the Tomoe Estate.

Known for being a chatterbox, the floating guide continued to speak as she kept me company, "Paimon really thinks that Yukiko is a great person - too bad you're with a bunch of bad people in the Fatui!" She pauses for a moment to express her frustration with a little anger fit of her own.

"Ugh! Especially that Childe! Do you know just how much trouble he put us in while we were in Liyue?" Paimon asked, furious that I did not dare answer. 

Seeing how reluctant I was to speak, she took this as a sign for her to explain further of what their circumstances were. So, she whined, "He summoned a ginormous Ancient God that threatened to put the whole lot of Liyue under the sea!"

As Paimon vented out her frustrations, I couldn't help but chuckle at her astonishing ability to make such a horrendous event sound quite comedic and light-hearted compared to being actually a traumatic experience for an average being.

"Thank goodness, Yukiko isn't that crazy like her student! Paimon's glad we met you." Her words came out sincere, and her gesture of holding my hand with her tiny pair made it all the more precious to be ingrained in my memory.

At the corner of the room, Aether then interrupts our one-sided conversation, "I'll bet you she says that because of the good food she's been eating." He teased.

"Hey! Paimon's not all in it just because of food. Paimon really likes Yukiko!" The guide fired back defensively.

And so, we watched as she defended herself, throwing fits of anger, while naming every reason as to why she admired my presence. She could go on and on without getting tired, and although it did make me smiles, my heart felt a pang of loneliness - knowing that it would be a while before I could hear her chirpy voice that brightens my day.