Forgiveness

The night had grown old and slow as Nyx faced the open window beside her door. She got to her feet with her blanket wrapped tightly around her small frame. Her legs felt stiff and her arms were shaking as she pulled the blanket tighter around her body. She was weak, and she knew it.

She left everything but the old ale Thor left her for dinner and for the first time in weeks, she made it to the door. It must have been very late because when Nyx had opened the door, the three guardsmen standing by the infirmary all let their hands go to their hilts at their hip in surprise.

"Princess." one sounded breathless. That's when she realized it was the guard she had nearly killed. The kind guard who remained loyal to her and her family despite the cursed actions she applied to him only weeks in advance. She was relieved he was okay, no blood, no scars, nothing but health.

She remembered the fear of that day. The fear of his death scared her more than her own. The only thing that made her hesitate in saving the life she nearly ended was her power. But come to find out, there was much more she was hiding without even knowing of it. The powers at her fingertips were dangerous. Her anger was a sharpened blade at the throat of an innocent man.

"You're up." Brynjar stared at her like she was a glorious jewel that he just discovered. She stared at him with sunken eyes. She was indeed the Goddess of Desire, but her hair was matted and she smelled of oil. Her face was unusually thin and her eyes were red, puffy, and dull.

"It's four past midnight, Princess. Are you feeling better, my lady?" he asked gently. She was shocked he hadn't left the palace after what he witnessed that day with Nyx. How he mysteriously healed himself and the blood spreading across the training grounds seemed to come to a halt and his organs were free of pain. There was not even an indication he was ever impaled. Then to have Nyx dying in his arms. It could not have made sense at the time. But it had been a while since then and she guessed he was smart enough to figure it out himself.

Nyx unwilling nodded her head. She clung weakly to her blanket and closed the door to the infirmary. She turned and started towards her bedroom with the ale to her lips.

"I shall escort you, Nyx." he was quick at her heels, his heavy armor clanging with every bounce in his step. She was much slower than he and it took a lot within Brynjar to not ask to help her. He knew she would not talk, also the reason she did not argue with her company.

"Your people miss you dearly," he spoke wistfully. Nyx had trudged up the stairs feeling the ache in her legs as she ascended up the stairs.

Nyx listened, but the thought of trying made her sick to her stomach. She imagined saying something very snarky in her head but she wasn't in any way looking for a reason to start up a conversation.

"I'm sure Thor has told you he bargained with those who live in the Forbidden Forest. Everyone is dancing with glee in the streets." he smiled. "Our food supplies are up, people are smiling more, the children are so happy," Brynjar explained thoughtfully.

Nyx listened with a frown. How the world went round and everything that was happening should've made her happy, motivated her even. But they were happy; they were happy the Prince was dead. No one would remember him as the strong and clever man he was, the soldier he was destined to be. But instead, they would remember the harm he did. Never the good he did, but the bad.

It was funny how when someone died, the highest power controlled how everyone else remembered them. If Odin believed Loki to be the monster he insisted he was, then everyone would believe he was pure evil.

But if he had praised him like he does Thor, things would be different. Not everyone is striving for the good of the world and remains with no imperfections. Everyone has flaws and disagreements, but Odin prevented both sides from being heard.