Mute

"The Forbidden Forest is free of threats. We've negotiated with the giants, the pixies, the dwarves, they've all agreed to move farther out from Asgard. Our people can have free roam of the land. They're finally safe." it was Thor. He was sat beside Nyx's infirmary bed as she refused to leave it in the past weeks Loki had been dead.

Nyx's stomach was caving in and no one could get her to eat. She never spoke to anybody. She was a mute. But Thor was too caring of his sister to leave her in the dark, even if it was what she wanted, it wasn't what she needed. He didn't dare steer away from her because she treated him as if he were not there like everyone else has. 

He knew his sister. He knew she was listening, even if she did not want to. Those closest to her were her friends and family and even in her darkest days, she would never be so selfish as to worry about her problems over her loved ones' own issues.

Thor assumed if she heard of the revolutionary news, she would at least look at him. Give him some sort of sign that she was still with him, that she wasn't just an empty shell of the girl Thor grew up with. But she didn't budge. She laid in bed on her side, her back towards Thor who was sat at the foot of her bed. He gazed over her and hardly recognized the sunken face who frowned at the darkening sky beside her bed.

He sighed. "You must eat," he whispered sullenly. He got to his feet and picked up a tray of food that had been placed near her bed by a nurse as Thor told his story. He placed it in front of her and still, she stared blankly at the window past Thor. Her eyes were a cold grey and her hair a messy nest of strong-smelling oil and sweat. Her eyes were puffy, remnants of her crying. Still two weeks since the attack in Asgard, she was still grieving heavily over the God of Mischief.

Thor thought she would heal with time. But it was clear she had done no moving forward. The scene playing so clearly in her head despite her vision failing her. She felt sick at the thought of not being with him, not throwing herself over the edge with him. She hated that his falling would be the last she would see of him.

She acknowledged the food presented to her, but the thought of living was sickening to her. Her mere breathing made her feel ill. She did not want to live without him. To continue the journey she started with him, but to finish it without him. It felt the same as a man with his legs cut off, dragging himself through the rest of his life. A part of her was ripped from her, but she was still alive. She was alone, not completely herself. She felt utterly and earnestly defeated.

"I see they've left you some ale despite being in a place of getting healthy." Thor chuckled, his smile fading all too quickly. Nyx couldn't bear the sight so she ignored it. All she had thought about over the course of two weeks were of all the memories she had left of Loki.

While Thor had been off rescuing the weak and saving the vulnerable, Nyx was decaying. She lived in the past.

"I know no one can force you to do anything you do not wish to do, but I would find happiness in your efforts of eating just a crumb." Thor sighed, getting to his feet and turning. He waited a moment, thinking maybe she would speak up. He thought maybe she would assure him that she would be okay all in due time, that she would try, that she would attempt healing. But there was silence.

He frowned, shielding himself from Nyx's gaze, even though she refused to meet his eyes anyways.

Why is there nothing I can do? She wishes a merciful death right before my eyes and all I say to comfort her is I wish her to eat? Pathetic; just as Loki would say... Oh, Brother-

Thor's thoughts were piercing Nyx's heart. She listened to his inner thoughts and swallowed hard. A single tear left her half-lidded eye as Thor exited the room with a click of the door closing behind him.