Slipped Distraction

Loki awoke with a warm feeling circulating his body. He opened his eyes with a flutter and smiled. He lightly kissed the tip of Nyx's soft nose as he peeled her arms from his torso and her legs from his lower back.

The sun was still sleeping, along with the rest of Asgard when Loki fixed his clothing the best he could before sneaking around the corridor to his room that was now on the level below Odin and Frigga's. He slipped inside and stripped of his clothes, replacing them with a soft leather vest and a forest green overcoat, his pants his usual black and accented with armor. He found his staff with a small blue stone at its core, and went to the throne to fulfill his duties. But all he could think about was how sweet her snores sounded the night before. 

***

Nyx woke up with a jolt. Like she had fallen asleep with a newborn in her arms and immediately felt like she had rolled on top of the innocent baby. It was the worst feeling in the world. But she realized she was alone. She didn't think Loki was ashamed of being with her the night before, but she did think he was discouraged when Nyx pulled away from him and couldn't continue because a small part of her was still afraid. 

She understood being King meant having little to no free time and it must have been early dawn. He had things to deal with before anyone else rose from their wake. But she wished she had woken up with him still in her arms. She never felt close enough to anyone to imagine being so intimate with anyone but Loki. So to have him, but not have him, it hurt. 

She got to her feet and dressed herself for the day. Her hair was unwound in a state of previously sweaty curls. She covered herself in a loose overcoat to mimic the feeling of being in pain from the other day and went to Zillah for assistance. Walking through the corridors sent her into a frenzy of anxiety. Had someone seen that Loki hadn't slept in his quarters by hers? She knew the truth, but based on how Loki portrayed the story, he was afraid everyone would disown him if they knew he bore Jotun blood.A Frost Giant siting on the throne of Asgard. 

So what if someone assumed they were still both Odinson's? Fear shot her nerves and by the time she reached Zillah's room, she did not respond. Nyx knocked once more but there was no reply. Maybe it was later in the day then she thought. 

She didn't think she could physically make it to the weapon room. Several floors down to the ground, returning to the place she lost control and nearly killed a loyal guard, she felt like she was ready to pass out. There was no need to cry, but she felt terrible. Like every nerve in her body was running with acid. She fiddled with the corner of her thumb. She couldn't describe how strange yet petrifying the feeling was. 

All her feelings were daunting. She felt weak not having control over them. Any of them. 

She tried to remain calm but every time she caught a guards eye, all she could muster was the feeling like they knew she had Loki in her bed the night before. Every look must have been committed loyalty, but she felt like their stares were judgmental. 

They must have be curious as to how she was up and about, but none of them questioned her. She tried to make it to the bottom floor. She rode down several stairs but had to stop when the flooding of guard passed her. She waited for them to be out of ear shot before she collapsed on one step and began clawing at her sides in want of physical pain to distract herself from the anxiety. 

***

Loki had visited Frigga once more. It was a little later in the day with everyone waking up and guards patrolling the castle, but Frigga looked ever so weary, clearly showing signs of depression and insomnia. 

"Mother, you should rest" Loki spoke gravely. 

"Your sister has not even visited him" she redirected the conversation, hurt evident in her voice. Loki felt disgusted when Frigga called Nyx his sister. He didn't want to lose Frigga as a mother, she only obeyed Odin's wishes. She taught him ever spell he knows, whenever he was frightened it was her who gave him a safe place to come to. But Nyx was not his sister. There was a piece of his heart in her's and a brought up title name couldn't change his feelings for her.