The King of Asgard

As the doors opened, Loki faced a grave Frigga, her head bent to Odin's as he lay still on golden sheets. Frigga held tightly to her husbands smooth hand as she rested her head against his own, taking in his smell for what she felt would be the last time.

Odin remained still in his sleep, looking pale and lifeless despite the rise and fall of his clothed chest. The space around him coated in a warped yellow protector, the effect of the Odinsleep taking place. The walls of the chambers were close around him, shielding his body like a dark crypt.

Loki sat silently beside his mother. Speaking softly to him, Frigga said "I asked him to be honest with you from the beginning. There should be no secrets in a family".

"So why did he lie?" he asked, staring intently at Odin as his face grew paler throughout the night.

"He kept the truth from you so that you would never feel different" Frigga explained, looking up from her husband to meet those emerald green eyes of her son. No matter how Loki felt about being Laufey's son, he would always be her baby boy. The son who grew with patience and strived to make his parents proud. She could still remember the way his eyes glittered in the sunlight when she taught him how to transfigure objects with his mind. He was so happy, so proud he was able to do what Thor couldn't. Frigga knew he was jealous of Thor, but there was more to it and she swore to love and cherish her time with Loki for as long as she lived.

"You are in every way our son, Loki, and we are your family. You must know that" despite the grief for her husband, Loki could see Frigga was genuinely assuring.

There was a moment of silence as both Loki and Frigga considered how to get passed this conflict. How life would be like without Odin there with them.

"You can speak to him. He can see and hear us," she explained, tears welling in her eyes. "even now".

"How long will it last?" Loki questioned, looking up from the haze around Odin to his mothers aging face.

"I don't know. This time is different. We were unprepared" she replied in a whisper. 

"I never get used to seeing him like this" Loki admitted. It was strange to think this could be the sleep he never wakes up from. It's happened before, many times, but he hid his weakness and pain from everybody and suddenly this Odinsleep crept up on them. "The most powerful being in the Nine Realms lying helpless until his body is restored". 

Frigga furrowed her eyebrows in concern, "But he's put it off for so long now, I fear..." she trailed off. Loki's hand found its way to her cold and veiny one. He held her hand in comfort, watching as she wiped away the tears rolling down her cheek. Though she was grateful, she wished things had gone differently with Loki. She didn't have to question her love for him, but she also loved Odin and his love for Loki was constantly questioned. She had to stay loyal to her husband. 

"You're a good son" she told him, turning away to stare at Odin's expressionless face. 

Loki didn't know how to react, and grew with uncertainty as to how he really felt. He knew there was still love planted deep within him, but if his whole life was a lie, was their love for him the same? 

"We mustn't lose hope that your father will return to us," Frigga replied lowly. "and your brother". 

Loki felt she refused their names to trick Loki into thinking they still cared deeply for him as a son and brother. But he couldn't believe her when she put so much effort into assuring him otherwise. 

"What hope is there for Thor?" he questioned with concern. 

"There's always a purpose to everything your father does" Frigga explained. But Loki heard his title again and only grew more with suspicion. "Thor may yet find a way home".