Chapter 40

Final Chapter before the epilogue, enjoy!

Louis POV

It had been a couple days since my surgery and I haven't had any seizures since that day. The doctor is proud and tells me that it's good and it means the device is working. It's possible to have seizures with the device, but they won't be as strong.

I met my physical therapist, Sierra, and she is amazing. She never rushes me, but she'll always push me to my limits. As much as I hate it sometimes, she says I'm improving and should be out of here by next week.

She comes to see me twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. It's basically just retraining my brain to remember what to do. We haven't tried walking yet, but we've started working my legs by doing bedside exercises.

I can move my arm around, my leg not too much, but they are improving from what they were on the day I came out of surgery.

"Good morning Louis!" Sierra announced as she came into my room the morning of day 3. Harry had gone home for the night to shower, sleep and get some clothes and stuff to stay for the next few days.

"Morning Sierra. Are we walking today?" I asked, eager to get out of this bed.

"Yes we actually are. Not very far, but to the chair at least. But first we are going to start with our normal exercises." I nodded as she got her equipment prepared.

She helped stretch my arm and leg. We also did some basic tasks, like balancing objects on one another to help with the shakiness in my hand. It's getting better though.

"Okay so we are going to stand first and be sure you can do that. If you don't have trouble with that, then we can do the short walk to the chair."

"Okay, yeah let's go." I said, eagerness in my voice, making Sierra laugh.

"Can you swing your legs to the edge of the bed? Take your time." Sierra said and I nodded as she moved the blankets down to the end of the bed.

Slowly, I moved my affected leg to the edge of the bed, followed by my other leg. Sierra had me move my leg around to be sure I could move it enough to be able to stand on it.

"It might feel a little weird when you stand, but it shouldn't be painful, so let me know if it is, okay?" I nodded. "Good. I'm going to put this belt around your waist so I can help you stand and to assist you if you start to fall."

"Ready?" She asked.

"Yeah." Slowly, she helped me to stand. I held on to her shoulders as she practically lifted all my weight, as II was nervous to put my weight on my leg.

"Try to equal the weight on your legs."

"B-but I'm nervous that it's just not going to work." I said sheepishly.

"That's okay, but trust me, it'll hold your weight. Try it." She explained gently.

Eventually I was able to put the weight on my legs and to my surprise they held up pretty well. She then had me put all my weight on my one leg to which I was against, but she convinced me to and it was fine. Most of my anxiety went away, but now I was nervous to walk.

"Let's try to walk to the chair. You might limp a little just because it feels a little weird, but that's alright." I nodded. She stood in front of me and had me hold on to her arm with both my hands, while her other arm hooked around the belt around my waist to help hold me up.

We began the short walk to the chair and like Sierra said, I had a bit of a limp just because it felt weird. After a couple minutes we made it to the chair and she helped me sat down.

She got me comfortable and then discussed our next visit, which would be this evening. She talked about my goals that I should reach in the next day or two and what to expect before I leave and what to expect when I go home.

"Alright, are you comfy? All set to sit here for a little while?" She asked.

"Yes. And thank you Sierra. Never got the chance to say thank you and I just want you to know that I appreciate what you are doing for me."

"Of course Louis. It is my job, you know?" I giggled as she gathered her things. "Have a good day Louis and I'll see you later this evening."

"Thanks Sierra. See you later." I replied as she left the room.

I was happy to be sitting in the chair. It was right next to the window so I was able to watch people, which was one of my favorite things to do. I was so focused on watching people, I hadn't heard Harry come back in the room.

"Hi love." he said as he kissed my cheek. I jumped slightly before leaning into his touch, as I didn't expect him back so soon.

"Jesus Harry you scared me." I said as he sat down on the chair across from me.

"Sorry Lou, I didn't intend to do that." He said. "You walked today?"

"Yes!" I said excitedly. "I was able to stand and walk to the chair. It felt weird but I was able to do it. Sierra said I can walk to the bathroom as long as I have a nurse or someone, like you, helping me."

"That's great Lou!" He said, getting up again. "I brought some more clothes for you and for me from home. Also brought some of your bathroom necessities as well as you were asking for them. And also I brought your mum."

Harry finished as my mum walked into the room. She said hello to Harry and kissed his cheek, while giving him a hug, then she made her way over to me. Harry brought a chair over next to me for her while Harry sat in the chair across from me.

"How are you doing, love?" My mum asked. "I see you're walking, right?"

"Yeah I am. Was just telling Harry that I stood and walked for the first time this morning with Sierra."

"That's amazing Lou. Hopefully you get to go home soon." I nodded in agreement.

"Yeah hope so. Don't want to be here anymore." I whined.

"I know Lou, but this was worth it, right? Haven't had any seizures in a while." My mum said.

"Haven't had one since I've been awake. Supposedly had one right before I woke up?" I questioned, looking at Harry who nodded.

"That's a good thing Lou. The whole point of the surgery." Harry explained.

"I know. Just kind of weird to not have to think about it. Or like taking medication. Hopefully I can get and keep a job now." I chuckled to myself, as my mum and Harry looked on feeling a little guilty.

"They shouldn't have discriminated against your disorder, love." Harry said.

I shrugged. "Whatever, it's their loss." This time, my mum and Harry both laughed.

About a week later, I was finally back to my normal strength and walking normally. Also, I was finally able to go home. And I haven't had a seizure at all. The doctors think I might have had a small one in my sleep, but many patients experience that and it's nothing to worry about. So I don't count that as having a seizure.

Harry took the week off work to help me get settled in and start wedding planning. He also helped me look for a job, so I'm working at a small bookstore down the road from our house. I work about 25 hours a week so I'm not stressing myself out and can take time for myself. Luckily my boss doesn't care and is just happy that I chose the bookstore to work at.

I was finally back to my old self with no Jake, no seizures and I'm finally happy with Harry.

Epilogue will be up in a few days!