Chapter 5

{~*~~•~~*~}

Kai couldn't sleep that night, he could only think about Cinder. More than he usually did. He was in his room looking out the small window at Earth. He imagined all the rivers and oceans and lakes slowly turning to a crimson shade from the bloodshed. Ot made him sick, he turned away from the planet and began pacing around his room for no reason at all.
He began to think of the cyborg-Lunar-Princess he had come to adore. He thought of their first kiss, though rushed, it might have been one of the best moments of his life. The way their lips fit perfectly, like prices of a puzzle. After pacing for several minutes, Kai left his room. He couldn't see much, given that unlike when everyone was up, the lights were off. The faint blue light that emitted from the various control panels, buttons, and switches, helped illuminate the ship, along with the stars.
Kai managed to navigate around the Rampion and ended up in a room he had never seen before. It was surrounded by windows, no steel walls or blue lights. It was like looking at a magnificent painting, each star brighter than the last, Earth, larger than the planet he'd seen through his window. But there was already someone there. A small figure sat cross legged facing the windows, watching. Kai walked over to the figure and saw that it was Cinder. She looked surprised that he was there.
"What're you doing here?" She asked.
"I couldn't sleep, and I decided to walk around a bit." He smiled sitting down next to Cinder. She looked at him with her warm brown eyes and smiled back. "What are you doing here?" He asked her.
"I don't know, thinking I guess. I couldn't sleep either. The plan is wracking my brain, Kai. I don't know what it is, but I feel like something's off."
"What do you mean?"
"Do you find it a little odd that Garan somehow got a hold of Cress's D-COMM chip? I mean, he was on Luna, not Earth. How could he have gotten it?" Kai hadn't thought of that. It didn't make sense, he thought.
"Yeah, you're right."
"Maybe I'm just being paranoid because this is the most that has gone right in the past few weeks. But what if the chip is lost, it could be anywhere, Kai. Anybody could have access to the ship's whereabouts, and you know what'll happen then?"
Kai didn't respond.
"They'll turn it in to officials and they'll hunt us down and kill us. Then the Lunar revolution is done."
"Even if you know... that happens, the people will still carry it on and rebel. But I don't think that will happen." He responded.
Kai couldn't bare living a life without Cinder. Wether she be dead, or locked up in a cage on Luna.
"You know what I saw on the net-feed today?" She asked.
"What?"
"It said the government would pay 3 million univs to anyone who has information on my, and Thorne's, whereabouts."
"Wow." Kai knew that people would surely be out looking for them now, if they hadn't already.
"But that's not all," she said looking down at her hands, "whoever-Lunar or Earthen-catches me, and me only-dead or alive- with receive a reward of over 85 million univs." Cinder looked up at Kai, but only for a second before she turned back to Earth. "It's only a matter of time, Kai. It's only a matter of time until someone finds us."
Kai looked at Cinder, who's gaze was still fixed on the planet, and put an arm around her. Pulling her closer to him. "It'll be alright," he says in a hushed tone, "it'll all work out." After saying this, she softened and leaned into him.

And there they sat, watching a planet filled with more than 8 billion people, but it felt as if they were the only two in the entire galaxy.