Chapter 26

{~*~~•~~*~}

Cinder opened her tired eyes, squinting at the blinding white light above her. She couldn't remember where she was, or why she was there. Cinder shifted uncomfortably in the bed she lay in. She noticed an IV attached to her right arm, pushing a translucent liquid through her bloodstream. She yanked it out and pushed herself up into a sitting position. She felt significantly lighter. Cinder hopped off the bed and stumbled before stabilizing herself on the small table that stood next to the bed.

Where was everybody? She thought. Cinder's eyes strained with the light. She let go of the table and walked, with the occasional stumble, to the door at the end of the room. When she got there, Cinder felt lightheaded, her body threatening to give up on her. Warnings flashed in her vision telling her to rest. She shut her eyes and cleared the small text.

Cinder grabbed the handle and pushed the door open with the little strength she had. She stepped out into the cold, white hallways. It was very late, nobody was out. Cinder walked sluggishly to the doors at the end of the corridor. She opened it without struggle, though there was a lock. She didn't think much about it and kept walking.

She passed through several doors before reaching two larger doors. Above her, red glowing letters spelled out something Cinder couldn't comprehend. It was a blurry mess of jumbled words.

She moved on to the doors, with a soft click, she opened them. A rush of warm, moist air filled Cinder's lungs. She savored the feeling of warmth, something deep down inside her sunk as the feeling faded away.

Cinder stepped into the dirty, humid area around her. There was a small bench that sat by the door. She could make out a figure on it. Cinder sat at the opposite end, waiting until her pounding headache faded away.

"Cinder?" A warm, concerning voice asked. She turned sluggishly to the person sitting next to her, her eyelids growing heavy. "Cinder, are you alright? What are you doing here?"

"What?" Cinder chocked out. She swayed in her seat. Tight, warm arms hands kept her steady. "Wh-who are you? Wh-where am I?"

"It's okay, Cinder. It's Kai."

"Kai," she whispered, "I-I can't s-see very w-well."

"How did you get out?"

"I don't know. No one was there."

Kai got up and stood in front of Cinder, taking her hands in his. He kneeled down and placed a soft kiss on her forehead. "Do you have any pain?"

"Just up here." Cinder replied, pointing a weak finger at her head.

"Okay, can you walk okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just a little light headed."

Kai took Cinder's elbows and helped her up. She stumbled at first, but he stabilized her. They began making their way to an elevator-looking vehicle. "What's this?" She asked.

"Don't you remember?"

"No, I'm not even sure where we are."

Kai's eyes widened in disbelief, "These are called chutes. Elevators for down here."

They stepped inside, Kai pressing a glowing blue light labeled guest rooms.
Cinder shivered suddenly freezing, she looked at Kai who was behind her, but he didn't seem to notice the temperature change.

The doors slid open with a soft ding and they exited the chute. Kai draped an arm around Cinder keeping her from stumbling and wobbling. She was shaking now, chills ran up and down her spine as they neared several doors.

"These are the rooms we're staying in." Kai said.

"O-okay." Cinder replied, still shivering. "Is it cold to you?"

"No, I'm fine. Why? Are you cold?"

"Yeah, I don't know why."

"Maybe you just need some sleep. You've been through a lot." Kai said, opening the door to what Cinder assumed was her room. It was small, smaller than her room back in New Beijing. It had a bed, bathroom, and cabinet inside. "Here." Kai said, helping Cinder down to her bed.

She slumped down and sighed. Cinder didn't know how tired she was until she laid down on the bed. It was dark in the room, she could just barely make out Kai's figure standing before her.

"Are you going to be okay? Do you need anything?" He asked.

"No, no, I'm okay." Cinder replied.

He smiled and walked back to the door. "Wait." Cinder called.

Kai turned around and faced her. "What is it?"

"Can you stay with me?"

He smiled and nodded. Cinder moved over and Kai sat next to her. She curled up, savoring his warmth against her cool skin. She closed her eyes and drifted off into a deep sleep.