Chapter 27

{~*~~•~~*~}

Levana stood in front of the mirror once again. Staring back at herself, she wanted to shatter the mirror into millions of pieces. It was her fault. If Channary hang done what she did, maybe Levana would have been the most beautiful and cherished queen of all. But she wasn't, she wasn't because of her.

Levana wasn't beautiful. She was most certainly not cherished. A single tear fell to her cheek and she quickly wiped it away. Levana tried to smile at herself, the monstrosity she was. The smile hadn't quite reached her lips when another tear fell. But this time, she let it fall.

Levana closed her eyes as more tears threatened to spill out. It was the beautiful people like Channary and Winter who made her this way. Who made her cry, who made her hate herself. They were naturally beautiful, they didn't use glamours to hide their imperfections like Levana. She fell to the bed behind her, hiding her eternally ugly face.

"No." she whispered, "Don't do this to yourself, darling." She couldn't let herself fall apart now with the war and all. Levana recomposed herself and stood up, walking back to the mirror. She pushed her midnight dark hair behind her and smoothed her dress.

"There you go, darling. You are the queen of Luna. You are cherished, you are beautiful." She smiled and put her hand up to her face, brushing an eyelash from her cheek. Levana put her chin up and straightened her posture.

"You are the fairest of them all."

Fairest. She was the fairest dame in all of Luna and Earth. Women sell their souls for Levana's beauty, men beg for her love. The thought made her smile widen.

But it quickly faded. She wasn't the fairest, she was imperfect. Levana was furious, there was only one woman other than her that was more beautiful. It was Winter.

The honey bronzed skin, cherry lips, ebony curls. She was the exact image of her mother, Solstice. The woman whom Levana loathed. Of course Winter would get her looks, kind nature, and natural charm. It wasn't fair.

Levana knew something had to be done to fix it. And she knew exactly what it was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I would like to have a word with Sir Jacin Clay." Levana said to the men guarding the holding cells.

"Of course, your Majesty." One replied.

They guided her to a small, dark room and waited.

"Alone, please." Levana clarified. She made a mental note to hire higher order thinking guards. They both nodded and bowed as they left.

She turned to the young man who sat before her. He had long blonde hair, tied in a tail at the base of his neck and a filthy, bloody guard's uniform. "Your Majesty," he said, "I wasn't expecting your visit."

"Well, I meant to speak to you," Levana smiled, "It's rather important."

"If it's about Lihn Cinder, I assure I have already given you all the inf--"

"No, Sir Clay, it's not about that."

He gave Levana a questioning look. "Then what is it?"

"You want to be let free don't you?" She replied.

"Yes, your Majesty."

"You were a very loyal guard for many years. And I respect that."

"Thank you, your Majesty." he said, still unsure where she was leading him.

"I am willing to give you your position back and your record swept clean..."

Jacin looked at her wide eyed. "Really?"

"... If you do a job for me." Levana finished.

"What might that be?" He asked.

"I need you to kill Princess Winter."