Chapter 16

{~*~~•~~*~}

Cinder woke up after hearing what she thought were gun shots. She felt her heart rate pick up. What's happening?
She heard several more shots ring out not a moment later.

Cinder tried to sit up, though it had been subsiding, the pain was still there.
She planted her right hand on the edge of the bed and flung herself off. At first she wobbled not having her left leg. She hobbled over to the door, wincing with each step, and opened it a crack. She saw a man, Wolf, Cress, Thorne, Iko, and Kai. Thank the stars he wasn't hurt. But she also saw two dead bodies lying in front of the door.

"Where the rebellion began. The tunnels." the man said. The tunnels? Rebellion?

Cinder shut the door as softly as possible, but it wasn't enough, she saw a glimpse of their heads turning towards her room. She stepped beside the door and sat on the floor. She splayed her leg and 1/2 leg out in front of her and sighed.

The door opened and everyone stepped in. Cinder quickly crossed her legs and hid her left arm behind her back.

"Ah, Cinder. I'm sorry to wake you." the man said.

"Oh my stars, Cinder, what are you doing on the floor?" Iko asked running over to her. "Come on."

"No. No. Iko please." Cinder said, but it came out raspy and almost unidentifiable. At least I can talk again. She thought.

Iko took Cinder's arm and pulled her up. She stumbled and almost fell over if she hadn't caught her. "Oh, Cinder. I'm sorry." she said sympathetically. Kai came over to her and stabilized her.

"You okay?" He asked.

"Kinda, Thanks." She responded. "What's going on?"

"Well Ms. Lihn, I believe we have to go now. If you may come follow me, I will give you some temporary... parts... so you can walk. But you won't be able to feel them or move them." The man said. Kai helped Cinder over to the bed and set her down. Right away, the man left the room and moments later, returned with some old, rusty metal parts.

"Now you might feel a small shock, but just relax." he said. Cinder nodded and took several deep breaths.

There was a quick jolt of electricity that shot through her system and her left leg kicked out and hit the man straight in the face.

"Oh my stars, I'm so sorry!" She said. Cinder heard snickers coming from Wolf, Iko, and Thorne. She put a hand over her mouth and apologized again. The man got back to his feet and smiled.

"It's quite alright. It's certainly not the first time that's happened to me."

He resumed tightening the screws around her knee and moved on to her hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The crew had gathered supplies and anything they may need when going into the tunnels. Cinder still didn't get what the tunnels were. She attempted to help, but everyone kept telling her to stay put.

She sat and watched. Mostly glaring and frowning when they would pass. She wanted to help, she wanted to do things so bad.

Kai sat down next to her. "Are you feeling any better?"

"Yeah," nails on a chalkboard, "it's not as bad as it was."

"That's great. I missed having you around."

Cinder smiled and looked at him, "I missed you too. But I missed being conscious the most."

Kai laughed and took hold of her hand, "I'm just glad you're okay." He leaned over and planted a kiss on her cheek.

"Alright, lovebirds, time to go." Thorne said.

Kai told up and held a hand out for Cinder. She took it and they followed the man--who she found out was Logan Tanner--out the back door of the house.