Chapter 23

{~*~~•~~*~}

Kai glanced around the room suspiciously. It seemed highly unlikely that--for 16 years-- no one has ever found out about this place. Something was up and were certainly in the middle of it.

Nobody seemed off. The people were all polite and kind. Kai's thoughts wandered to Cinder. What would they do to her? He thought. What are they doing to her right now? Kai pushed those thoughts away. The woman, Luisa Santiago, seemed nice. Not capable of doing anything sinister towards Cinder.

Kai sighed. "What're you thinking? Cinder is fine. Everyone is fine." But it didn't convince him enough. He turned towards the door and walked out. The air was filled with silence. A silence that usually comes before something terrible happens in the movies. Kai shook his head, clearing his mind.

He began walking back the way he came. He didn't really know where he was going, but knew it was to Cinder. Kai was surprised of how much he remembered the twists and turns of the route. A few minutes later, he was back down the long tunnel where Cinder left with the doctor. He remembered they turned the other way, and resumed walking.

At the end of the tunnel, there was a clear sliding door labeled Chute 2. Chutes, Logan talked about those. They were used down here for instant travel. Quicker than elevators. Kai climbed in and pressed the button that said East Medical Wing.

Kai felt a sudden jolt as the chute began to move. Moments later, the doors opened revealing a pristine white corridor. It was completely different from the dirt covered brown lining of the tunnels. There was a door at the end with a key pad on the side. Great. Kai thought.

He heard a soft click and the door opened, two doctors talking out. Kai swiftly hid behind the door and grabbed hold of the handle. He slipped in quickly and quietly, careful not to notify the doctors of his presence.

Right as Kai stepped in, memories flushed into his mind. The smell of disinfectant gave him nostalgia of the palace hospital he'd spent many of his days in. The place where he watched his father die. The place where he watched his mother die. He remembered the comm he received saying his father entered the fourth stage of Letumosis. The halls he ran through, dodging med droids to his room, only to hear he was too late.

"Your Majesty?" A voice asked behind him.

Kai whipped around to see a doctor holding a clipboard, studying him. "My apologies, can I by any chance see Lihn Cinder? I just want to make sure she's doing alright." Kai said, hoping he didn't sound as doubtful of their capabilities as he had thought.

"I can assure you, she's in good hands." the doctor replied.

"I don't doubt it," he lied, "but can I please see her?"

"Um..." Why are they so reluctant? He thought. "Sure."

Kai followed the doctor through long white corridors and locked doors in silence. All of a sudden, the doctor stopped. "Yes?" She said talking into an earpiece. "I figured-- well yes, I understand. No, no, I know. What? What happened to her? Tell me! No. No, no, no, no. I told you not to do that to her! You know the serum's not ready yet! Yes, I'll be right there."

"What happened?" Kai asked.

"Uh, nothing. I'm afraid you'll have to go, your Majesty." With that, she was off.

But Kai followed her, quietly. She entered the operating room, as it said on the sign. Kai caught a glimpse of a girl dressed in rags with brown messy hair being lifted onto a long bed. She was unconscious. It was Cinder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: This is another filler chapter that will lead up to a big climax. It will be coming this week! Ahh!! Haven't really decided what it should be yet, but... Hey, it'll be a climax. A climax is still a climax. Bye now!