Chapter 44

{~*~~•~~*~}

"Where do you think they took him?" Kane asked in a hushed tone.

All of them had been wondering the exact same thing: What happened to Wen?

Since he had been taken away, Al's mind flooded with possible reasons why. He ruled out almost every one of them.

"I hope he's okay." Melchang mumbled. Even in the darkness, Al could see an expression of distress and worry.

"He'll be fine, Melchang," Grant replied, scowling, "You're all acting like he's been kidnapped or something."

"Are you saying we shouldn't worry for our friend when he was mysteriously pulled out from his w--" Kane stopped in his tracks, staring into the woods beside them.

"Oh, what is it now, Kane?" Grant said, stopping.

"I-I could have sworn I heard something c-coming from over there." He replied, pointing his finger to the woods.

Grant harrumphed, and resumed walking.

"Grant!" Al whisper-shouted. He swiveled around to face him, and walked back. "I think I heard it, too."

"You all are being little n--"

"Shh!" Tye whispered sharply before letting out a loud sneeze.

"Shh!" Al heard the faint sounds of dry leaves being crushed. There weren't wild animals on Luna, all tame house pets. Someone was in there.

"Get back to the cottage--now. I'm going in there." Al whispered. The others ran back to their home.

Al crept into the woods, careful to not make too much noise. Soon, he approached a slender figure sitting on the forest floor, head in hands. The figure was mumbling something Al couldn't quite make out.

"Hey," he said, "You shouldn't be out here after curfew."

The figure looked up. Al could see her now. She had porcelain skin, so pale it almost seemed blue, dark hair strung up into a ponytail, loose stands flying out all over the place, and a sliver hand.

"Please," she said, her voice scratchy. She winced as if she had sandpaper in her throat. "please leave. I don't want you to get it."

Al was puzzled. "What do you mean?" He took a step forward.

The girl leapt up from her sitting position and stumbled away. "Don't come any closer."

Al ignored the girl, taking another shaky step forward. He thought he recognized the girl. But before he could hear the sound of leaves crumpling below his foot, he was jerked backwards. An unfamiliar voice entered his mind, feeding him words, commands.

You will leave her alone. You will turn away and go back to where you came from. You will forget this girl. Tell no one you saw her.

Al felt himself turn around and start back to the cottage. He wasn't in control, though. He moved, but he didn't. The was being moved. Being moved, and moving, were two completely different things. It was a feeling he had experienced far too many times. The loss of control.

And suddenly, he was released. Right at his cottage door. Al forgot why he was even in the forest in the first place. He shrugged it off, entering his home. He opened the door and saw the faces of not five men, but eight men and three women.

"Oh, Al!" Winter yelped, in a hushed tone, careful not to wake the neighbors. "Oh, Al! You need to help us, please."

"What is it?" Al asked, stealing glances at the strangers in his home. Winter. He wanted to tell her this wasn't some sort of slumber party, but he didn't, not wanting to hurt her feelings.

"Our-our friend, she's gone." she explained how her friend --refusing to tell him her name despite several tries by Al-- had disappeared almost out of thin air. She was worried. He could see it in her eyes, they were glossy with tears. Winter told him she was a very "high profile" woman, leading Al to believe that the disappearance wasn't accidental. Winter paused, wiping her tears streaked cheeks, and looked around the room, scanning for something.

"W-where's Wen?" She asked. Oh, right, Al had forgotten about this part. Now coming home to tell Winter that not only has one for her friends disappeared, but two, had to be the worst part.

"He had to stay home a couple days ago. Wen was asked to make up his time tonight. He's alright." Kane replied. Al was surprised he had lied like that, given his previous state walking to the cottage. He was also glad Winter didn't ask why he stayed home.

Winter nodded, sniffling. She regained her posture and gestured to the strangers to her left. "Al, this is Captain Carswell Thorne," Al's face went pale, "Crescent Moon Darnel," his jaw dropped, "Ze'ev Kesley," his eyes widened, "Emperor Kaito," his body turned numb, "and Iko."

Criminals. Winter had invited criminals into his cottage-- well, four criminals and an emperor.

Winter must've recognized his expression because she had put her arms up in defense. "No, no, no, no, they aren't the bad guys. They're the good guys, trust me."

Al was speechless.

"And one more thing," Winter looked down at her hands, "my friend, is Princess Selene Blackburn."