17.) Who Are You?

"Do you need to leave right now?"

Downey asks, with a concerned tone.

"I don't see how I could do any help, except to comfort my mother... But, everything will still be the same tomorrow, so, I don't see why we need to rush." I'm talking a mile a minute, trying to figure out exactly what to do, while I am speaking.

"What should I do, Downey?" I ask out of breath.

I need help, I cannot take this on, all by myself.

"Scarlett, I don't know what you should do. Like you said, there really isn't anything you possibly can do to change the scenario. It's already happened, it's all in the past. Are you feeling there is something you can do?"

Downey still has me in his arms, as we speak -- sitting upon the bed. My face nuzzled into his chest, with Downey's chin placed on top of my head and both of his arms, locked around my body.

"I don't know what to do."

I really didn't know what to do, I didn't even know what to say. How are they just, now thinking my father was murdered?

My mind was circulating back to the words my mother had said,

"Scarlett, your father.. There has been some evidence leading to the beliefs, that he was killed, he did not have an accidentally overdose, as everyone had first believed. I'm sorry, I didn't want to tell you this on the phone. Oh no, I have to go, sweetheart."

And that was that. Why did she have to go? She hung up before I could even ask anything else. What made them think he had been murdered? Why did it take so long for them to figure that out? What should I do?

My thoughts, a whirlwind of energy circling around about my dad. A whirlwind of thoughts I cannot stop.

"Scarlett?"

"Yeah?" I answer, only hearing Downey now. He must have asked me something, while I was living in my thoughts.

"Do you want to go home?" Downey repeats.

"No, I don't, I do not want to.. Should I be there?... I don't know what to do!" I scream the final part, pulling myself away from, Downey, jumping off the bed.

I am not mad at Downey, I didnt mean for it to even come out that way. I am just so frustrated, confused, and mentally exhausted from all of this. I have no clue on even where to start.

"Scar... That's fine. It sounds like there is nothing you can do, you said that yourself. I know this is scary and I know you must want to help, but you can't. It's out of your hands to help, honey. The law enforcement is trying to do the best they can right now to find out exactly what did happen to your dad... I know this is easier said than done, but stop worrying, sweetie. You are just going to work yourself up, and then you won't be of any help to your mother, being that worked up. Scarlett... My rose, come back here and sit down with me.... If you want to." Downey smiles, rubbing his hand in a circular motion on the bed, for me to come sit down next to him.

Downey was right.. It was all out of my hands. There wasn't anything for me to do. Right?! I feel like I need to be doing something. In someway or another I feel like I should be helping... Is there anyway I can help?!. But, I guess not.. I have no control in the matter now...

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to push you away. I'm just so confused. How are they just figuring this out now, though? I mean seriously, who would have murdered him, Downey? Who??" I shout, and before I knew it Downey was standing up, walking towards me. He swiftly picked me up into his body, into his arms -- as I collapsed myself into his embrace.