|134| The News

19th of January, 1980

Riley went to the grocery store, she didn't have any meeting to attend that day. She just went early in the morning, then wore the name tag which misspelled her name as "Rylie." She sighed, then got behind the counter.

Nobody came for a while, she started reading the ingredients of the packages and the canned food out of boredom, braided her hair several times and then messed it up once again.

The glass doors were opened, Riley sighed, then put on a fake smile.

"Hello, welcome to Pine R—" she started, but then stopped. Seeing the familiar face. "Oh god..."

Vicky Verano stood there, she had a tote bag which seemed to be filled with books. Her hair seemed neater, she stared at Riley with the same strange face.

"I did not know you worked here," snarled Vicky in the same tone Riley recognized. Riley just rolled her eyes, didn't reply. "You finally came back to this shitty place, then? Left that weird school of yours..."

"Have you not changed at all? Leave me alone, get whatever the fuck you want, and get out of here..." said Riley, pretending to be busy as she played with the places of the canned food.

"There's no need to be mean, Riley Spade," said Vicky, then walked right next to Riley.

"Yes, there's no need to be mean, Vicky Verano. There never was! You chose to be mean to me all these years, and you are definitely not the person to lecture me on manners," said Riley angrily. "Honestly, get what you want, then leave."

"Jesus, you haven't changed one bit, always the same weirdo from town," said Vicky in disgust. "No wonder why people think you're a freak."

Riley tried to calm herself down, swallowed dryly, then looked up at the girl who was sniggering.

"Really, I heard a couple of people chat, they were telling that your family was cursed or whatever," said Vicky, suspiciously studying an apple in her hand. "Really, you're all alone, aren't you? What a shame."

Riley had tried everything to keep herself from yelling, but her attempts weren't successful. "You think you're so smart? Trying to get me mad by calling me a freak? You think I don't know what those fucking people say? You're a fool, Vicky. You always will be. It doesn't matter if you carry that bag with large books, or get a good degree, find a good job... It doesn't matter. You'll always be that bully from town to many people, and especially for me."

"Wow, good speech," said Vicky with a sarcastic laugh, then slowly clapped mockingly. "What do you want me to do, freak? You deserved all those years in school," she said.

"You made my life miserable! You still are! Get out of here!" Riley shouted. "And, no! I did not deserve—"

"Save your breath," interrupted Vicky, making her voice sound higher to mock Riley. "I heard the little — drama — that happened between you and Ethan Humphrey, by the way. As if that would ever happen..."