|139| The Traitor

30th of September, 1981

Hope Lupin passed away.

Remus kept locking himself in the bathroom, refusing to come out of there for long hours. Mrs. Lupin wasn't attacked, she had died due to heart failure. Riley felt as if everyone around her was slowly disappearing. Dorcas, Marlene, Mr. and Mrs. Evans, and Mrs. Lupin.

Everyone tried their best to make Remus feel better, but it didn't seem to work. 

"Moony — come on," said Sirius softly behind the bathroom door. "Come on out..."

Riley and Peter listened to Sirius who talked endlessly behind the bathroom door. Riley looked down, Peter seemed fine.

***

19th of October, 1981

Riley went to the Potters' cottage. She knocked on the door. It was unanswered at first, but then Lily spoke.

She let Riley enter slowly, then closed the door carefully, making sure it was locked (even though it could easily be opened magically.) Riley had only expected to see Lily and James, not Sirius and Peter too.

"What's going on?" asked Riley.

"Er — you should go," said Peter. "It's nothing."

"She can know, Pete. It's fine," said James. "We're changing the secret-keeper."

Riley let out a small gasp. "What—"

"I offered to change it," said Sirius. Riley looked around the room, then realized the new secret-keeper was going to be Peter.

"But—" she protested. She never thought Peter would become the secret-keeper.

"I'm a known friend of them," said Sirius calmly. "I may be an easy target. Pete will be unexpected, they won't think he's the secret-keeper."

Peter didn't seem offended by the comments Sirius had made. He nodded along.

"We can trust Wormtail," said James.

Riley knew Peter could be trusted. It just seemed a bit absurd to change it all of a sudden. Could they even change it for a second time?

"It's all done," said Lily with a smile. She looked at Peter. Peter nodded and smiled back.

"But — have you talked to Dumbledore? Is it safe to change the secret-keeper so often?" asked Riley in shock.

"No, Dumbledore doesn't know. But we think it's fine. And we looked up how the Fidelius Charm worked, it's safe to change the secret-keeper often," said James.

"It's brilliant!" said Lily. "A double bluff!"

***

24th of October, 1981

Riley slowly woke up with Will on her side. She yawned, then got up to change her clothes.

She decided to take a shower first, then change. She went downstairs to get some food.

"Good morning!" said Will cheerfully as he went downstairs. "Did you sleep well?"

"Sleep? No. But it was a fine night," said Riley with a grin. Will laughed.

He left after a while after they had a small breakfast. He had some order business, then quidditch training. Riley also left shortly after to pay Remus and Sirius a visit.