18. Friends & Foes

*

We are a species addicted to stories.
Even when the body goes to sleep, the mind stays up all night telling itself stories.

*

Morning came for Wooyoung and he was dreading getting out of bed. Nonetheless, he dragged himself out, making himself look presentable before walking out to his car. As he drove Wooyoung thought about what would happen, wishing that San was here with him.

"This is so unfair," he muttered as he parked his car and saw the number of reporters there. He pushed past them quite quickly, entering the building and going up to the 14th floor. Wooyoung hovered around the door of the conference room, wondering if he should bravely step inside, or turn around and walk out.

However, before he could make a decision of his own, the elevator dinged, signalling that someone else had just arrived on this floor. It was no surprise to Wooyoung when he saw Mr. Choi and his secretary emerge from the elevator. Wooyoung didn't want to be in an awkward situation, so before they could see him, he slipped into the room, where his father was already seated at the head of the table.

"Wooyoung, I am glad that you are on time," his father said, though his tone made Wooyoung think that he had already done something wrong.

Seconds later, Mr. Choi entered greeting everyone. When they all sat down, Wooyoung sighed to himself. He hoped that there'd be a few more people here so that they could do the talking, but all that were there were his father, Mr. Choi, their two secretaries and himself. Now he really wished San was here.

The two began to talk, and they went on for a while. Wooyoung didn't really pay much attention to their conversation, secretly spamming San with texts under the table. He hoped that they would continue that way for the rest of this meeting, but instead the focus fell on to him.

"This news isn't really about us though, is it Mr. Jung," San's father said. "It concerns our sons."

"Yes and I am very much looking forward to hearing a proper explanation. Wooyoung would you care to tell us the meaning behind the photos?" Mr. Jung said.

Wooyoung took a deep breath, ready to say what he practiced last night. "Those pictures were taken out of context. There isn't anything going on between us. San is my best friend."

"I didn't know best friends sleep together," Mr. Choi muttered under his breath, but everyone still heard it.

"San's father is right. The pictures were intimate and that's why our brands are being affected," his father explained.

"But I'm telling the truth. If you knew the context, then you'd actually believe me."

"Well then enlighten us," Mr. Jung said, reaching out to the photos that were laid out on the table. "Explain the context for this one." He pointed out the one of San and laying Wooyoung's arms and immediately Wooyoung froze.

'Why did he have to pick this one?' he thought. This photo had to be the worst because Wooyoung couldn't even explain it in detail.

"San was just upset that day and I was comforting him," Wooyoung said, but he sounded rather pathetic.

"Why was he upset?" Mr. Choi asked.

Wooyoung awkwardly cleared his through, realising that he's put himself into a difficult situation. "I- uh... I can't say..." was all he could get out of his mouth.

"He's my son, I should have the right to know what's bothering him."

"With all due respect sir, it's not my place to tell you what's on San's mind. If you really cared, you should ask him what he's going through yourself."