41. Last Breath

Tw - suicide

*
"And a voice screaming in my head
This is not the end"
*

The air was thick, and the tension was high as he looked into Hyunsik's eyes.

"You don't have much time left Seok," Hyunsik said, a desperate look on his face. "Why won't you listen to me?"

"You know I lost faith in you a long time ago Hyunsik," Seok said, eyes brimming with tears as he turned to look out of the window at the vast stretch of yellowing grass. It was no longer the luscious green it had been when he first moved into this cottage and the sky no longer had its brilliant blue glow. Everything surrounding the cottage seemed dismal and grey, just like how Seok felt in that moment.

"I know. I know I hurt you a hundred times, but can't you see? I'm trying to save your life!" Hyunsik exclaimed.

"You almost took my life once too!" Seok retorted as he whipped his head around to face the person behind him. "Tell me Hyunsik. What more have I got to lose?"

"Hongsik wouldn't want this," Hyunsik mumbled, looking at Seok with pure desperation in his eyes. "If you won't listen to me, at least listen to what my brother wants!"

"What Hongsik wants is unattainable," Seok said, turning back to look at the dreary view. "You might hate me for saying this, but I will never meet another like him and that's why I've accepted this fate."

"You're- You don't even believe in fate Seok!"

"Maybe I never did, but he makes me believe that it's real. Like it's all written in the stars... like we were destined to be together. Does that sound crazy?"

"You're out of your damn mind," Hyunsik muttered, frustrated.

Seok scoffed, looking up at the ceiling to prevent any tears from falling. "I have to believe. Without my belief... I'll have nothing."

"You'll really have nothing if you don't come with me right now!" Hyunsik shouted, tired of how long this was taking. "We have to go now!"

Seok shook his head. "I'm staying."

Hyunsik looked at the boy in disbelief. Suddenly, they heard cars approaching as the tires crushed the gravel underneath. Hyunsik ran to the window and looked at the two cars that had parked up and the bulky men clad in black that were emerging from them. He turned to the other and held his hands, gripping them despairingly. "Seok please!" Hyunsik begged.

Seok gave him a small smile and shook his head again, taking his hand out of Hyunsik's grasp.

They were suddenly interrupted by a loud banging on the door that shook the entire cottage. When they had made their way in, the men toppled over everything in their paths aiming to destroy the home completely. When they entered the living room, they raised their weapons. Hyunsik's eyes widened, and he jumped in front of Seok, keeping the younger behind him.

"Wait!" One of them shouted, lowering his tone as he muttered to the group. "We can't hurt Mr. Kim."

He stepped forward slowly, hesitating with the gun in his hand. "Mr. Kim, please step aside."

"I'm not going to let you hurt him. He has nothing to do with Hongsik anymore! Why are you doing this?" Hyunsik retorted, warily stepping back. He subconsciously held Seok's hand behind him in fear.

"These are orders from your father. Please step aside!" The man shouted.

Hyunsik sadly glanced back at Seok with a sigh. "I hope you're not too infatuated with Hongsik to see my love for you. I hope you can see that I am willing to risk everything while that coward... does nothing."