Twenty Six

The Prince and the girl walk side by side around the town today with their hand intertwined with each other. They walk through the crowd as they look at every stall they walk past.

"Good morning, your highness!"

"Oh look, it's the prince and his partner!"

"I wish you have a great day, your highness and lady in the red hood"

Everyone greets them with respect and make them a clear path as they walk.

"One of the reasons I hate to walk in the town. Everyone unnecessarily gives me respect. I am just a normal human being too. They are being selfless" he whispers to her ears.

"Well, they do it willingly due to your kindness and not forced because of your status. You deserve all the respect. After all, you have been protecting the empire with all your heart" she said reassuringly.

Does he really deserve it? Well, he thinks he doesn't. He wants to talk what he has in mind to her but he put it aside. There's no point to debate it. He wants to enjoy his time with her.

"Anyway, this is the town. Tell me where do you want to go. I can show you around" he said. It was her request to go to the town. Usually, they will spend their time at the palace. Since Ruby really wants to visit the town with him, he thought why not?- well she has been asking him to go to the town when they were still young but he always refuses.

Besides, she always shows him around her village and this is the time for him to repay her kindness.

"I don't mind, you lead the way. Oh wait, I want to try those melon buns. It looks delicious" she said. They buy one each and he shows her around the town. Ruby enjoys it when she has the opportunity to walk around the town. For some reason, it brings her back to her village.

"This is my favourite place. It does remind me of the Dark Forest. The feelings are just right" he said. They just arrive at the lake. There's no one except them and children that play together nearby. Both of them sit at the lakeside as they look at the clear water.

"It's true. The feelings... it's the same. So you have been spending your time here if you can't come over to my village?" asked Ruby- curious.

"Yeah. Even it's not the same, but it feels right" he said as he stares at the clear water- it does feel great sitting there. Ruby smiles.

"I'm glad to know that. Our feelings are mutual" she said.

"We always been" he said as he squeezes her hand. Ruby blushes. Their relationship is still unclear. They obviously like each other but Ruby is still not ready. She's not ready to leave her village and to adapt to the new life.

He takes a deep breath before he said,

"I know this is still early for you. But I just want you to know that I will always wait for you. Ruby, I lov-"

A ball hits perfectly on his head and it bounces to the lake.

"Damned children" he sighs in frustration as he shifts his eyes at the children who run in their direction. He places his hand on his head as he rubs it. Ruby chuckles.

"We are really sorry for hitting you, we didn't mean it" they said with apologetic looks.

"It is fine, it's not that severe. Let me help you to take the ball. It's dangerous for you" said Ruby as she stands up.

"No, let me do it" he said as he willingly take the ball. He tries to reach the ball but it keeps getting further. As he finally reaches the ball on the tip of his fingers, he falls into the lake.

Ruby tries her best to hold the laughter but she fails. He throws the ball back to the children.

"Here you go. Play it carefully so there's no one will fall into the lake again" he said as he was still in the lake. The children thank him as they run back to their original spot- well, without helping him at all. The guy sighs.

"Hey! How can you laugh at me? You're hurting my feelings. Help me" he said as he reaches his hand to her.

"Sorry, it's fun to see you being clumsy" she said as she reaches her hand to pull him back.

On the other hand, the prince has a little prank on her.

"Gotcha" he said as he smirks. Ruby's eyes widen as she realises what he's going to do. Instead of letting her pull him outside, he uses his force to pull her into the lake.

"No- Aurelius!-"

Ruby's eyes flick open.

"Aurelius" she said slowly.

That's his name. His name does ring a bell in her mind. Oddly, she can't remember who he was. He keeps appearing in her mind lately. His name who she just learn keeps repeating in her mind. She just can get him off her mind- it keeps bothering her.

She doesn't even know what their relationship is and how even they meet but it does feel familiar to her. She badly wants to know about it yet as she keeps recall her memories it will bring her headache. Her dreams start to drive her crazy as she thinks deeply about them. She wants to know the truth but the headache is killing her.

She sighs in frustration as she sits on her bed. She takes a look at the clock and it's 6. It's still early- they will have breakfast at 8.30.

Instead of she plops herself back on the mattress and continues sleeping, she gets ready and decides to walk around the palace- to get more clues about her weird dream and that mysterious guy. The thought of it disturbs her. She needs to know the truth- she can feel something odd is going on around here.

It feels like something is trying to hint her at the truth.

Without wasting any time, Ruby walks by herself around the palace. It's frustrating for her that everything seems to give her feelings of nostalgia. She somewhat remembers that she did walk past every single hallway and room tons of times before yet this is the first time she ever comes here.

Ruby sighs in defeat as she gives up- as for now. She doesn't discover anything just yet. The only thing that she got is just a headache. She needs to take the morning fresh air- it's too much for her to handle the pressure that she felt.

She decides to walk to the balcony to look at the morning view. She desperately needs a fresh air to help her clear her mind.

×××