Ten

After the basket is finally full of berries, Ruby hums happily as she walks out from the forest and waits for the two demon hunters. She sits under one of the nearby trees and leans on it. She decides to take a nap.

As she closes her eyes and relaxes all of her muscles, she could feel a heavy footstep getting closer. She opens her eyes and sees who is the person.

To her surprise, Granger reaches here first while he drags a deer. There's also some blood on his shirt- probably the deer.

"Y-you surprised me. How fast" said Ruby as she looks at him.

"Well, I'm a marksman for some reason" he said as he sits beside her. The smell of the blood hits her nose- but she is already used to it so it's not a big problem.

"Wonder where's that guy, can't wait what kind of thing he got" said Granger. Ruby examines the deer. It's a pretty huge deer. She also wonders about Alucard, did he found one already?

"You search for berries for what?" asked Granger.

"I wanna make some jam and give to Pharsa, she helped me a lot before. Sometimes, I just eat it raw. It's tasty. Here taste some" said Ruby as she gives the basket to him.

"I see. If I'm not mistaken she's a witch around here with two birds around her, one is a crow and another one is an owl right?" asked Granger for confirmation. Ruby nods.

"How do you know though?" asked Ruby- curious.

"Remember the previous demon wolf attack? I happened to get injured when on the way to the palace. We stopped for a while and out of nowhere she's beside me and healed my injuries. I still remembered it because I got healed completely after that" explained Granger.

That's Pharsa for you. She's a nice woman. Ruby bet if anyone outside the Moniyan Empire heard of a witch, they'll look at her as a bad person who used dark magic to ruin a person's life. But she's the opposite of that. She's too kind and wields a really powerful holy light magic.

"Ah me too, I did got healed by her before but there's a lot of things she helped me with. I'm going to visit her after I finish making the jam" said Ruby.

"Anyway, I did hear rumours about this kind of berries is poisonous," said Granger. Her eyes widen.

"Wait, we can eat this? isn't it poisonous?"

That memories come back to Ruby mind. She is lost in her thoughts for a while as she tries hard to remember the memories.

"Ruby? Are you okay?" asked Granger- concern with the girl who spacing out.

Ruby snaps to reality as she nods.

"I'm fine. Eat some. I ate this a lot I'd never been sick when I ate this" she said. Granger takes a berry from the basket. As he put the berries in his mouth, his eyes sparkled.

"This is tasty. Not gonna hear a thing from the castle ever again" he said in a monotone. Ruby is still unsure that he really meant that or not. Granger is emotionless sometimes. It's actually hard for her to read him.

"Poor guy. I bet you always eat something delicious in the palace right? The dishes must be prepared well" said Ruby to him. He nods.

A tiny part of Ruby's heart feels that she actually experience this kind of conversation before. She's sure something is wrong with her. Once again, she ignores it.

"What a pain waiting for Alucard. My head suddenly aching" said Granger as he leans on the tree with closed eyes.

"I'm sure he still hunting. Let me ask them first. Maybe they know the answer" said Ruby as she calls for a bird who currently flying in the sky.

"Hello, little bird. I'm sorry for interrupting but did you see any guy here who brings hunter tools?" said Ruby after the birds land safely on her hand.

"Hello, Ruby. It's a pleasure to meet you again. I'll search for him with my friends. I hope you can wait" said the bird as its fly away. Granger's eyes widen- disbelief with what he just witnessed.

"I- How did you do that?" asked Granger.

"I'd been here since my childhood days. Maybe the Dark Forest give me the ability to do it since I never miss a day to go to the forest" said Ruby as she chuckles.

After some moments the bird arrives and land on Ruby's hand.

"He still looks for animals. Can I say, he actually sucks at it" the bird said. Ruby and Granger laugh at the bird remarks.

"Thank you a lot little bird!" said Ruby as she pats its head.

"Pleasure to help you Ruby" the bird said as it flies away.

"Well, let's wait a little longer. You can have a nap. Another thing I like about the Dark Forest is when you sleep or resting- it will slowly heal you. Your head still dizzy?" said Ruby as she looks at him with concern.

"Nah, still dizzy. Guess I'm going to take a nap. Are you fine with the smell of the blood? I can sit somewhere far" he said.

"I'm okay. Blood is not a big deal. You are still dizzy right? Put your head on my thigh, it'll feel better" said Ruby to him. For Ruby, she'll take care of her friends well since the two demon hunters are her only friends.

"It's okay, I'm good" said Granger with closed eyes. Ruby sighs hearing his replies. She pulls his ears and put his head on her thigh. Granger releases a small whimper.

"Don't be stubborn around me, alright. Now have some rest while waiting for Alucard" she places her hand on his hair as she strokes it. To her surprise, his hairs are soft. She's too carried away and keep playing with his hair.

Granger takes aback when Ruby strokes his hair. He keeps his eyes close as he finds it comforting. His body relaxes as he feels the comfort from Ruby thigh. He slowly drifts off to sleep.

Ruby keeps stroking with his hair as her hand gesture getting slower- until one point its stop. She also fell asleep under the tree. They both look comfortable with each other as they nap peacefully.

×××