Forty

Ruby finds her way to the garden. She has nothing to do at the moment. Instead of staying in her room, she decides to take the fresh air at the garden. For some reason, she feels miserable. She feels afraid- afraid of something that she couldn't address well.

There is nothing that concerning her at the moment, it's just her feelings that acting weird. She doesn't feel safe. She feels that she will lose something in her life soon- something dear to her.

Ruby settles herself on the green grass. She plucks a flower as she plays with it. She needs to distract her mind, but the uneasy feeling seems to be glued to her heart. She can't throw these feelings away.

She thought maybe that's a natural warning for her- to give her a sign of something. Yet she couldn't think of anything. Everything in her life right now seems to work well. She can't find anything odds in her life.

Ruby plucks another flower as the feelings still exist in her heart. She hates it to feel like this. She hopes it will go away quickly as she doesn't feel like she can hold it any longer. It slowly drives her mad.

She doesn't want to lose anything in her life right now, even it's something unimportant to her. She's living in an uncomfortable life now. She doesn't want to change it.

Yet she still feels like she will lose everything in her life.

As the red hooded girl is deep in thought, a pair of hands closes her eyes from behind. Ruby smiles. She knows who is the one behind her. The guy that brings sparks to her life.

"Aurelius, I know it's you" she said with confidence. Aurelius chuckles as he moves his hand away and settles beside her.

"What's my favourite person doing?" he asked as he looks in her direction. The evening sky seems to enhance her beauty even more. He appreciates her beauty and feature for a moment.

"Nothing much. I was thinking about something" she said as she plucks another flower. She decides to make a flower crown in her hand. It does help her distract her mind.

"About?" he asked curious to know about it. He notices Ruby is a little bit off today- as if she's distracted with something. He hates it if she's feeling unhappy. He at least needs to know about it.

Instead of giving Aurelius an answer, Ruby asks him a question instead.

"Aurelius, you're not leaving me. Right?" she asked as her eyes focuses on the flowers in her hand. Aurelius is taken aback by her question. It's so random for her to ask such things yet he still answer her.

"Of course, why would I? You are the precious person in my life. I am not leaving you, ever. Even if you choose anyone else besides me, I will not leave you. Instead, I will wait for you. So, don't ever have the idea of me leaving you behind, alright?" he said as he looks at her gorgeous face. She is really a true beauty but he still can see the anxiousness on her face.

"Can you promise me that?" she asked as she almost finishes the flower crown.

"It's a promise. I will keep my word. You know that I'm a man with words" he said. Ruby smiles as she looks at him.

"Thank you" she said as she places the flower crown on top of his head.

"It suits you" she said as she looks at him.

"Really? Since you're the one who makes it then I will keep it" he said as he take off the flower crown and look at her works. It's tidy and he likes it.

"Shall we go back? I feel a little sick. I need a rest" said Ruby. He looks at her with concerns.

"Are you okay Ruby?" he asked. He still notices the uneasiness on her face. He doesn't know how to help her.

"I need a rest then everything will be fine. Don't worry" she said. Aurelius doesn't say much as they go back to the palace. Ruby goes straight into her room without saying anything to him. He wants to ask her but it seems like she needs her time for herself. So, Aurelius decides to leave her time for herself as he busies himself by helping his sister.

As midnight hits, Ruby is still awake. She can't sleep as she keeps shifting her body on the bed. The uneasiness getting stronger and stronger. She feels miserable as she's alone in her room.

Ruby decides to leave the room and finds her way to a certain someone's room. As she arrives there, she stands in front of the door. She knocks on it without saying anything. Within a seconds, the door opens with a silver-haired guy behind it.

"Ruby?" he asked as he doesn't expect the girl to come to his room at the midnight. As soon as Ruby looks at his face, she can't hold herself but cry. She doesn't know what is happening yet she bursts into tears. Aurelius is alarmed as he finds her cry.

He pulls her hand into his room and closes the door. Both of them sits at the bedside. Aurelius hugs her as he pats her back.

"It's okay. You can cry. I am here" he said gently. It's his first time seeing her like this and he feels sad. Ruby bursts into tears for quite a moment before she stops, then she looks at him with a longing gaze- she will miss this face soon.

"Are you fine now? You know, I am always here for you" he said as he looks at her straight into the eyes.

"Can I sleep with you tonight?" she asked without even answering his question. She needs someone to accompany her sleep tonight. She doesn't feel safe anymore.

"Sure," he said as he agrees. Both of them lies side by side with Ruby's head on his arm- she's in his embrace. Aurelius strokes her blonde locks, trying to calm her down.

Even if he's beside her, the uneasy feeling is still there. Ruby slowly moves her arm as she places it around his waist. She doesn't want to let him go and she can't figure out why. She doesn't want to be apart of him even for a second.

"I am here and always will. Now close your eyes and sleep. There will always be a new day for you" he said with a gentle voice. A new day? Of course there will always be a new day. She's afraid that the 'new day' will turn into the worst day of her life.

"Aurelius, thank you very much. I'll always value you a lot, okay? Please stay with me" she said with a low tone as she hugs him even tighter. Aurelius finds her hand as he put it in his.

She will always love him for every second pass and she promises herself to stay with him. Yet she still can't say it out loud to him. That's a thing that she thinks she will regret soon- for not confessing to him.

Eventually, both of them manage to fall asleep, side by side with their hands intertwined with each other.

Little did they knew, that was the last night they stay with each other before an unfortunate event took place, which then change the history and the bonds between them.

×××