Side Chapter 4-2 (Side- Reality)

After we get our reward for the quest and some much needed showers, Bee and I both head to the slums together. She's become a baker of sorts in the slums now, and entirely for free at that. Not to mention she's actually pretty good at it. Nonetheless, her main ingredient and flavor component for most of the baked goods she makes is none other than honey. I'm starting to think she's doing all this "bee" stuff on purpose, but I choose not to ask to avoid a possible long biography.

I look over at Bee to see her in her "thinking state" as she calls it, and she frowns a bit. I lightly poke her side. "Hey, if I'm not allowed to be mopey then the same goes for you."

"It's not that I'm mopey, I'm just thinking if there's anything else we can do for the slums." The fact that she's not looking at me while she's talking means it's something she's really thinking about.

To be fair, it's not as if I don't get where she's coming from. I've thought about the same thing a lot too. "Yeah... I get it." I look over at the slums as they come into view.

"I just wish there was a more permanent improvement we could provide. It's not like we're gonna be here forever, you know?" Bee hops on my back, forcing me to carry her, which is something I've grown used to over time.

"Maybe we can ask around and see what people really wish for the most out of that area." I suggest nonchalantly.

Bee gasps and squishes my face with her hands. "That's it! You're a genius when you're not depressed, Riku!"

"I can and will drop you..." I murmur just loud enough so she can hear.

"You love me." She snickers and rests against me fully. "You act like you don't like feeling my boobs on your back~"

"Am I supposed to be feeling something?" I tease in return.

I quickly find out that this is a very bad idea as she proceeds to pinch my side. "You must have a death wish." Her aura is menacing, making me shiver.

"J-Joking, I was joking..!" I groan in pain.

"Really? I was prepared to take off my top and let you comp a feel! Too bad for you!" She laughs triumphantly and I roll my eyes, simply staying silent until we've finally reached the slums.

I let Bee down off my back and we both head to the Gilbinga house. "Alright, we'll discuss our plan with them and see if we can get them to help us. It'll go really quickly then." Bee nods at my suggestion and in the next instant, I'm knocking on their door.

"Rikuuuuuu!" Gina and Haruto hug me as soon as the door is open.

"Ahhh, it's so nice to be given hugs by my two favorite kids in the world almost every day." I chuckle and pat their heads, making them giggle.

"Good to see you again Riku! I see you've brought Bee along. Did you just come over for a visit?" Makou asks, walking over to greet us as well.

"Well, we're here for a little bit more than that this time." He cocks an eyebrow before Bee and I both explain what our idea is to both him and Reina. The two of them instantly light up and smile warmly at us.

"You already do so much for us, both of you, and yet you want to help us out even more. You really are a couple of great heroes, Riku and Bee..." Reina says as she wipes her eyes to keep any tears from falling.

"I think it's a great idea! Let's start asking around asap!" Makou says hurriedly, already ready to rush out the door.

"I like your style old man Makou, let's do it!" Bee runs out after him, leaving the rest of us to look at each other, sighing and shaking our heads with smiles on our faces. Gina and Haruto stay with their mother as she asks around the slums and the rest of us split up to do the same. Even though we ask everyone in the slums, all their answers are rather basic.

"More food via quantity and variety, stronger buildings, and better equipment to work with. These were our most common answers." Makou states after we've all given our statements.

"Alright then, if we combine all of those desires into one, you ultimately end up with 'I wish for a better and easier lifestyle." I say after going over everything in my head.

"So then, if we all work together and get a whole bunch of materials and supplies over here, we can literally fortify every single part of the slums!" Bee grins, looking ready to rush into the big city already.

"But if we all go, we'll be ridiculed. You see what happens to Makou when he tries to beg for money or food..." Reina mutters with a frown. Makou might not have begged in quite a while, but it's clear this city has some kind of problem with its poor folk.

"You all don't have to worry about that." I hold up my fist to Bee and give her my own confident grin. "We'll keep all of you safe. Right?"

"Heck yeah we will!" Bee wraps her arm around my neck and her smile becomes all the more self-assured. "No one will lay a finger on any of you, you have our word!"

"Mom, I wanna go into the city with Riku and Bee..!" Haruto tugs on his mother's dress.

"Mm..me too mama..." Gina follows in her brother's footsteps.

"W-Well..." Reina sighs a little bit.

"Come on Reina, with all four of us, we'll be alright, and so will the kids." Makou gently grabs her hand.

She looks up to meet her husband's gaze and smiles softly. "Oh alright then. Into town we go."