Chapter 20: "The Truth" (Side- Reality and Fantasy)

A few days would pass, both Rikus settling into their new environments, feelings, and convictions. Once enough time has passed, Riku Reality sends a message to Riku Fantasy. "We need to talk."

Riku Fantasy reads the message and he already knows what his counterpart wishes to speak about. He's spent his free time reading up on everything that has happened to Reality, including Artemis revealing the truth about his past. "Very well then, let's talk." He sends back, getting dressed into one of his uniforms. They are the same person in most cases, so Fantasy doesn't have to guess that Reality wants to hold the conversation in person.

Riku Reality too gets dressed, in both his adventuring gear and the robes given to him by the resistance. Every member of the resistance has a set of robes made to the design they requested. Riku requested that his robes be just like the leader's robes, however, colored green with brown designs and accents.

It was a design the resistance's magical tailor was happy to oblige by, but there were a few minor differences, per Artemis' request. She wanted the robes to suit Riku himself as well, so not only was the symbol of the resistance on the back made larger, but the root and branch designs were also thicker. The reason behind the design choice was as Artemis said, "Because not only is he extremely protective of what he cares about, but it'll take more than a few simple swings of an axe to knock him over." Riku didn't notice the design difference when he got the robes however, nor was he around when Artemis made the request.

"Time to go..." Riku mutters as he finishes getting changed, heading to the plateau where Artemis first agreed to train him. At the exact same moment, Riku arrives in the dark alleyway beside the Artemis' organization. Both Rikus enter The Cross once they make sure the coast is clear, coming face to face with one another just one second later.

Riku Reality already has a light glare in his eyes, and Riku Fantasy looks on expectantly, waiting for his alternate to say whatever he wishes. "How are you doing? Mentally and emotionally, I mean." Fantasy is surprised that this is the first topic of discussion. He thought Reality was just going to start yelling at him immediately, as it is what he himself would've done.

"Still a bit fucked, but all in all, I'm alright." He shrugs his shoulders, meeting Riku's eyes as he speaks. Reality can tell that he isn't doing well just from the dark look in his eyes. "What about you?" Riku Reality shakes his head, averting his eyes for a moment. He doesn't wish to think about Makou and Reina yet again at this moment. "I see..." Fantasy narrows his eyes sadly.

"Let's not think about all that right now. We both know what I'm here to ask you about." Reality says bluntly.

"Indeed." Riku Fantasy looks up at nothing as he readies what he's going to say.

"Why did you lie?" Riku Reality asks, eyes sad, confused, and a bit angry as well.

"Because I didn't want you to know. That was a past I had left behind. Nearly a year has passed since I chose to leave..." Fantasy closes his eyes, remembering everything from back then.

"Why did you leave? Your power...it's incredible. You created a worldwide resistance force to battle against the evils of the entire planet. What the hell could make you wanna leave that..?" Riku Fantasy didn't say anything in response to that. "Fantasy, it's just the two of us here. Riki isn't even here right now. What could be so bad that you can't even tell yourself..?"

"Riki warned us of other entities and of the god she works under. There's a strong possibility a conversation like this would be something they'd happily listen to." Fantasy sighs, looking at Reality once again with a tired look in his eyes. "I left because I couldn't take it anymore. All the death, all the fighting...I just couldn't take it anymore. There's more information than that, but I'd rather not say it all."