15: Amortentia

You're already gone for a week and Draco never bothered to owl you. He didn't know what happened to you nor he has an idea. He's worried, yes, but he took it to himself that he has to avoid you again, this time no matter what. He's doing it for you, if he doesn't do this, your life would be in danger if your relationship with him was found out.

But that's not what he was most worried about, he was worried about when you come back to Hogwarts. He wondered about how you would react and what you would say. Whatever you said could break his determination for keeping you away from him. But... he had hope that you would understand and stay away from him.

You are his best friend; you understand him very well. Draco hoped that you could see through his act and understand. Then, you had to cooperate with him and stay away from each other.

How does he know that you would see through him and understand?

You were able to see through him like glass and you always have been since the first time you met. And you would have understood that he had a reason for doing this, you are a Ravenclaw, you could figure out so much on your own.

It would break the both of you to do it, but it was for the best.

-

Draco didn't see you until the next week when you came back.

He could see that you have gotten better after going home. He wanted to go to you to confirm that, but he shouldn't.

You didn't notice that Draco has been avoiding you until when you went to the Black Lake after another nightmare. You didn't see Draco that night, but you just shrugged thinking maybe he had already gone to rest for the night.

You spotted Draco the next day at the corridors, you called out to him. But he never turns back to look at you, instead, he continued walking away, leaving you stranded at the corridor.

Did he just avoid you?

Or is it that he didn't hear you?

You didn't confirm your questions until the next day during your charms class, you sat beside Draco. You greeted him, but he never answered back.

Draco was avoiding your gaze; he didn't answer any question you threw at him. You were looking into Draco's eyes, ignoring the class that was ongoing.

There was determination and guilt, his determination told you that he has to do this. And his guilt told you that he didn't want this, but he had to. You could tell there is a reason behind this, but what?

You have a vague idea, he's keeping you away from him, to keep you out of danger.

What danger?

You didn't want to think further, you knew if you did, you can't deny it anymore.

You knew that Draco was avoiding you for a reason, it was for your own good. So, you respected his decision.

Draco finally glanced at you, can't bear your stare anymore, he saw that you gave him an understanding smile and went back to concentrate on the class. That's when he knew, like he had hoped, you understood and followed his decision.

For a moment, he hoped that you would turn back and try to convince him to change his decision. But he quickly shook that thought from his head, reminding himself that you would have a better life without him.

Now that it's done, he could focus on the Vanishing Cabinet and not worry about you being dragged into this mess.

-

It's been two weeks since that day at the charms class. You've been doing fine dealing with your nightmares alone. But you had to admit, you felt like something was missing. Every time when you were at the Black Lake alone, you would miss Draco. He would always be the one there with you, helping you feel better. And now he's not here with you.

Yet, you don't realise that Draco sometimes would watch you from afar. He can't help but worry about you, he needed to make sure you would be alright without him. After making sure you were okay, he would return to avoiding you.

It's another one of Professor Slughorn's class, potions.

Everyone was tasked with brewing amortentia, the love potion. You were assigned to brew the potion with Luna and Cho.

And of course, being the Ravenclaws all of you are, you finished pretty quickly.

As soon as you took a whiff of the amortentia, you gasped. Making Luna and Cho turn to you.

"What did you smell?" Luna asked dreamily, seeming to already expect a specific answer in her head.

You stuck your head closer, making sure that you weren't mistaken.

"Books, my violin, parchment and ink." You answered Luna, you didn't give her a full answer.

"Anything else?" Luna asked again, already noticed that you didn't fully answer her.

"Mint... (Cologne) and apples... (His shampoo)" you answered vaguely.

Luna seemed to already know who is it while Cho only shrugged and did not think too much about it.

You were so shocked that you didn't focus for the rest of the class, thinking about the boy you just smelled in your amortentia.

Even after the class was finished, you still couldn't comprehend that you just smelled him.

You grabbed your violin from your dorm and rush straight to the Black Lake.

You started playing as soon as you arrived.