Chapter 35:

Monday Morning.

Asia.

"What did you pick out?" Currently I was at Rashad's, picking up his clothes to come home in. Seeing how he only went in sweats, socks, and underwear.

"Nigga, does it matter? You can change when you get here."

"True, but I want to leave with dignity." I rolled my eyes. "Roll them again."

"Shut up before I hang up on you." I grabbed a pair of sweats, a graphic tee, his basic necessities, and a random pair of shoes. "I'll be there shortly."

"Bye." He hung up. I sighed and put his things in a small bag. I grabbed his bag, my purse and keys, then left his room.

He was finally being released from the hospital and he couldn't be happier. He's been getting on my last nerve. I don't know why I've been getting so annoyed by him lately. Maybe it's that time, who knows? It just seems like everything he does or says strikes a nerve. I never complain though. I always keep it to myself and just play it off.

March has been ... eventful. It's almost over, meaning my birthday will be here sooner. I can't wait! I've never been more excited about anything in my life. My seventeenth birthday is right around the corner and I'm a year closer to being on my own. Being free from the restraints of childhood and on the brink of becoming an adult.

The responsibilities change, and I'm ready. College is paid for basically and I just have to go do it. My dad had college funds put in place for the three of us years before we were even thought about, so we're set.

Emery is going to Duke and I couldn't be happier for her. They accepted her first and she replied instantly. Nathan is going to UW-Madison in Wisconsin. He's so excited, it's not even funny. He's been determined to go there since he found out they existed.

I'm applying to colleges all over the place. I need options, even though MDC is first. I hope and pray that I get accepted into their school.

L.A. has had its ups and downs for me, but I just want to get away. Even if I don't go out of state, I just want to go away.

College is nothing like high school. And it's nothing like how they portray it on television. It's not all fun and games. Nobody is going to be there to tell you to get up and go, it's all on you. It takes you to get up and go to class, turn in your work, and excel.

Mom and dad won't be there to tell you to get it together. Perks of growing up.

I've thought about how I want my senior year to go. I'm going to play basketball, but I'm doing it for me. Fuck every bitch on that team. Off the court, I don't fuck with them. I'm going to keep my grades up and I'm not worried about shit.

Carson can fall in a hole and die. Or they can simply try his ass as an adult and lock him up. His birthday isn't until July 17, and his court date is June 28. Either way, I'd be set. I can't deal with anymore of him. After his sentencing hearing, if he has one, he and everything that comes along with him will be burned from my memory. I will be oh so done with him.

I pulled up at the hospital, turning off the car. Jamal recently got a new truck, so he's been letting me drive his car. This car is so not for me. It's all manly and whatnot. Like it's a black Audi R8 L. Nice car, but it's just not for me.

I walked in, and made my way to his room. He was sitting on the bed, shirtless, looking at the tv. He smiled at me and turned his attention back to March Madness.

"Who's playing?"

"Duke and San Diego." I sat down in a chair, getting into the game. A little too into it, I guess.