Chapter 42:

Asia.

A duet. Really?

Mr. Celibass just killed my vibe, and it's way too early for this. We're currently in choir and band practice slash rehearsal, and he just announced that my solo would now be a duet. On top of that, he won't tell me who it is that I'm singing with, so I'm completely in the dark about it.

I don't know if this person can sing, if they are male or female, or anything. I'm an easily frustrated person and not knowing what I'm working with is very frustrating. I just want to go to sleep and wake up knowing that this is a dream.

Sad reality is, it's not.

Brittany — the lead musician, pianist and singer — got the music and lyrics for me and we started going over them with just the keyboard first.

"Brit, do you know who I'm singing with?"

"No clue." I groaned and proceeded to read over the words. She started playing and I hummed along trying to get a feel for it.

I declare bullshit.

About an hour in, we joined everyone else and went over whole choir songs. Once we'd been through them a couple of times, we took a break and listening to the men quartet ensemble rehearse. They're my favorite part of the whole shebang.

"Asia, are you going to prom?" An alto, Jacob, asked.

"I plan to." I responded, sipping from my water. "Are you?"

"Yep." He nodded cheerfully. I smiled. He and Sam are beautiful together.

We sat around, talking and singing. Basically goofing off the entire time.

"You Benjamin Button looking ass boy." The choir room door opened, revealing Shad, Jaxon, and Twan. Why the fuck?

I was seated on the piano, playing around with Brit and Amy.

"Not like that," She laughed. "Try this note, with... this."

"You break my voice box, I break you." I pointed a finger at her.

"Whatever. Follow me." I read over the words to I Bet by Ciara and looked at Brittany before I started dying.

"You're funny for just having this laying around, Brit."

So you bought me a car, he can buy that too
I can take care of myself and I can find someone to do it too, baby
You actin' like you upgraded me, I upgraded you
You and me Fashion Week at Paris, I put you on to that new

But you took advantage, oh you took advantage, oh you took advantage
I cannot understand, I cannot understand, I cannot understand it
I thought you'd always be there for me, yeah yeah
But if you ask me if I knew betta now, hell yeah

The boy on the drums switched up, and dropped a hood ass beat.

"On my mama, fuck it upppp!" I jumped down and started acting stupid right along with Mira. She started twerking to the beat of the drum and I joined right in.

These are some of the blackest white kids I know.

"Hold on, wait! Damn I'm looking great. Pull up to the bash, and the charger on eights. Rim skates, no they don't stop, never. When I strike a pose, all the hoes watch."

"Hold on, wait! Hold on, wait!"

"Bitch, strike a pose, pointing at the hoes." A bunch of people joined in. Everybody was in this room geeked up and having a good time.