Chapter 36

"..I reject you as my mate..."

Interesting how much power lies in six simple words. It is impressive how many existences are destined to change and how many lives prevented from being born because of a combination of 16 letters. And it is disgraceful how powerful werewolves fear these six little words.

Because words consist of vibrations and sounds, and these create the very reality that surrounds us. And the werewolf who had just received them, had literally crumbled. Anyone who had supernatural eyes and perhaps even human eyes, if there were any, could have seen pieces of heart scatter across the grassy ground, right in the middle of the Wereball's arena.

Most importantly, everyone expected the strong wereball player to refuse, shout, go berserk. But the rejected wolf did nothing of what was expected. What he said next, it triggered unbearable pain for the werewolf who had started the game of rejection and crumbling hearts:

"I accept your rejection."

There were gasps, exclamations, and murmurs. Two souls saying goodbye. Two wolves that ached with pain....

How did we come to this agonizing situation?

Let's take a few steps back and start from the beginning, right before the match between two mighty teams was about to start....

........

"Oh Goddess! The game hasn't even started Yvaine!" Amaia sighed, while I peeked at my father, sitting next to me. He seemed to have heard nothing, too busy keeping my mother at bay. She had stated that she would show her Scottish flag-painted boobs to distract rival players and it didn't look like she was joking. Not that you could ever know it with her.

My knees were bouncing, and my foot tapped the ground as if possessed by a crazy foot-spirit.

"Calm down!" Amaia took my hand that was currently unfairly torturing the sleeve of my sweatshirt.

"I knew I had to take my portable defibrillator with me, damn it," she muttered to herself when I made a duck-like sound.

The whole pack was at the arena, every single member, even those who had no idea what Wereball was, even the people who left the pack had returned to watch the game of the year. Everyone was buzzing at the prospect of fighting and bloodshed, and no one wanted to lose the event or not be a part of it.

I could already notice some members of my pack stretching or cracking their knuckles. The group of Comet Ultras led by Tiziano (wielding his inseparable megaphone) was a few rows away, right below us, and were already chanting the typical stadium songs and beating drums.

I could see huge sacks full of rocks, and other objects with the sole purpose of inflicting pain.

People were already losing their voices from the amount of screaming and shouting.

I shivered at the thought of the inevitable confrontations and potential bloodbath.

My eyes moved to the other side, towards our enemies. I saw several groups of fans. Some were dressed as Terminators, others wore their team colours, some more wore weird skull-shaped masks, the meaning of which escaped me but which I would have understood during the game, later. Then there were girls with signs like "Mate me", "Terminate me", "I love you, my only captain", "My son will be called Thor" and so on. My wolf wanted to find a gigantic rake and mow down those females like weeds infesting the lawn.

"Just keep twitching like that, and your parents will believe you took some wolfsbane." Amaia grumbled, after I crossed and uncrossed my legs for the fifteenth time. I shrugged, waving off her concern.