Chapter 43

AN/ NEXT CHAPTER IS ALREADY ON INKITT, FOR FREE (it's another reading app, just like wattpad)

You see, people are always great psychologists when it comes to someone else, but they are quite blind when it comes to themselves.

When trying to understand yourself, feelings always enslave you. Despite that, I had always been decent at analyzing what was happening to me, around me, inside me. I always locked my feelings and emotions in a special drawer, a safe, and kept the key for later. And so, I had always been able to rationalize what was going on.

And today, as I was on my way to the airport, part of me knew I was in shock.

Emotional shock, to be precise.

When the words "Hello Bunny Doc" were produced by the wrong ~ most kissable ~ mouth, my mind and body struggled to process it. I was convinced that the words had come from behind him. Because Logan, my notorious but heart-stirring mate, could not be Rudolph. Or Rudolph, the pesky reindeer I had grown fond of, could not be Logan.

When my twin had rescued me from accusatory faces, questions, and heavy explanations, he took me back to my apartment, and I was not surprised. I was when he deposited me in our car, telling me to wait there.

Not that I had any intention of moving or going anywhere, since my brain refused to follow my orders and my heart was not pumping blood through my veins. Once Lachlan came back, after 30 minutes or three hours, I could not tell, he had two backpacks, one on each shoulder.

My stomach was churning as if I might be sick from a disease whose only antidote was the virus that caused it (my mate).

I asked no questions. I figured Lachlan would take us to our house, at the pack. I was partly wrong: he wanted to bring us home, just not the home I had in mind.

"Here," Lachlan handed me a croissant and chai latte that he had bought at the nearby cafe. We had checked in and were waiting for our flight.

Neither showered nor changed, Lachlan wore a pair of sweatpants and a tank top. I had not noticed how passersby glanced at my handsome brother.

He sat in the seat next to mine, glancing at the cell phone that had never stopped lighting up.

Since we left the wereball arena, every so often Lachlan checked on me, eyeing me discreetly but of course I felt the stare. Lachlan did not ask or utter anything strictly related to the subject M, M for mate....

Until...

"Your mate got a damn good punch, I'll give him that," The raucousness of Lachlan's voice grew deeper and his fingers pressed against the swollen part, which was slowly healing due to the gel used during the wereball game.

It was as if Logan had punched me too. In my heart. Repeatedly.

"You know, I understand why you did not tell me." He smiled sadly at me and wiped some tears from my cheek, "But why were you so angry with him, there in the stadium? What did he do that was so bad?"

I decided to answer a question with a question.

"Do you remember that guy I was talking to on the phone all this time?" He looked confused, "Yeah? The reindeer boy? And?"

"Rudolph." A pang in my chest startled me for a second. How I wish I had a mechanical heart or be a cyborg.

"Well, he was Logan, all this time."

"Logan ..." Lachlan looked confused as he narrowed his eyes, "Ah yeah, the Masturbator ..." Then he gasped and turned towards me, spilling some coffee from his cup, "What!?! It was him?!"