Chapter 14

"I'm not going to shift back today."

Those were the last words Lucien bothered to say in the last hour.

With a sigh, I rested my tome on my lap and bookmarked as far as I had read.

Lucien was busy, barely paying attention to his surroundings; his only target a rare steak clutched in his hands.

We had to eat outside, in the garden. After my mate had again trailed blood on the pack house carpet, my family had forbidden him to set foot, or paw, inside until he shifted back to his human. Which should have happened that day.

'I have to do something about it...'

Yes.

Resolution hardened my heart when I fished my phone out of my pocket. My finger scrolled over my contact list as I peered at Lucien.

I swallowed as I pressed the 'green phone' symbol to call a certain someone.

My phone was hidden behind my back when it started beeping. Hidden from Lucien's intelligent eyes.

'Maybe I should warn him about the upcoming video call...'

"Hey Lucy," My three-foot furry soulmate emitted a snort, or a growl; hard to say which sound was.

"You see... I do have a special childhood friend." My hand rubbed his forearm, observing the meat skewered in the black claws. Who needs forks anymore! "He's like a brother to me. We grew up together."

(Ring, ring. The phone keeps ringing)

"He?" Lucien finished chewing and swallowed noisily before scowling at me.

"I don't like 'he'." This time it was certainly a growl.

"Well, he has a mate, just like I am yours. So, there's nothing to worry about." I bit my lower lip trying not to grin at his suspicious frown. "And I would like to call him," I am already calling him!

"To ask if he knows-" How can you and Logan get along? If he can help you shift back to your human? If it is normal that you need a dozen cows a day? If during a full moon your kind goes berserk? Would I become one of you, after m-mating? "ꟷmore about your species." I settled on that.

Lucien narrowed his eyes at my flustered cheeks. "But has he found his mate yet?"

That seemed to be his only concern.

(Ring, ring. The phone keeps ringing.)

"Well ... yes." I tilted my head to the side before replying. "She is somewhere. For sure! Every werewolf or lycan has a mate."

"But-" The ring stopped, interrupting Lucien... "Hey Vy!" A smooth, very masculine voice startled us both. I gave Lucien an apologetic smile as I moved my phone to the front, glancing at the screen. Archie's relaxed smile decorated his chiselled features as the wind whipped pitch-black hair. He seemed to be outside somewhere.

"Hello, Chie!" I exclaimed, a warm sensation blooming in my chest. Was it because of the joy of seeing a friendly face, so many happy memories associated with it? Or because of Lucien's deadly gaze warming the air?

"How are you, Vy? Is it true that you and Lach are in Scotland?"

(AN/ Chie and Vy are the nicknames Yvaine and Archie gave each other during their childhood.)

"Yes! We have been here for almost two weeks! I meant to call you earlier." I said, my gaze going from Archie on the screen to Lucien in front of me.

The latter had stood up abruptly and let out a territorial snarl. The steak forgotten.