Spine Tingling

Sam sits at one of the library tables reading up on the latest case, he is elbow deep in books and papers. He turns his attention to his laptop, when Dean comes up behind him and drums excitedly on Sam's shoulders.

"What was that for?" Sam looks up at his brother with a scowl on his face.

Dean grins broadly down at him. "She's almost here!"

"It's only been a little over a week. Plus we did work a pretty big case during that time."

"Yeah, but maybe she'll stay over after this case."

Sam smirks at him. "Maybe, but you never know."

"Yeah, I know, it's just..."

"You're excited. I get it." Sam chuckles.

"Well, that and like I told you before, she's got some sorta hold on me or something."

"This again?" Sam drags his hand down his face. "I thought you got over that."

"You don't get it Sam, I've never felt like this before and it scares me. When she's here, everything's amazing and my world is on fire and while she's been gone all I want is for her to be back here with me."

"Sounds like love to me, Dean."

"You know I've been in love before and it doesn't feel like that."

"What? You mean, with Lisa? You said you were never happy living the apple pie life with her, you knew what was really out there and ended up leaving because it was putting her and Ben in danger."

"Yeah exactly, I'll put Mae in danger too. I should just stick to my normal old love 'em and leave 'em ways. It's easier on everyone."

"It might be easier but you won't be happy. And at least with Mae you know she can handle herself. I mean she saved both our butts last case."

"I also just can't get over this feeling that I'm being affected supernaturally by her. I can't seem to think straight around her and I wanna touch her all the time. Did you hear me the other day trying to get her in a room close to mine? What's up with that? I mean I want her to move in!"

"That's not that odd, you want her close, like you said."

"But the odd thing is, I've felt this way since the night I met her, something is just off about all of this."

"Well, I think she's just as..." Sam starts but is cut off by a knock at the door.

Dean doesn't wait for Sam to finish, as he bounds up the steps two at a time with a broad grin on his face. Taking a deep breath he calms himself before opening the door. He swings it wide open, only for Mae to begin falling through it with her arm raised to knock again.

"Whoa, I got you." He says, holding onto her arms to steady her.

Regaining her balance, she smiles up at him. "Nice reflexes, Winchester."

"What happened?" Sam asks, entering the war room and looking up at the top of the stairs.

"Just making an entrance, I guess." Mae responds, laughing softly.

Sam chuckles. "Ok, well if that's done, I'd like to show you what we've got so far."

"Yep, pretty sure I'm done falling into the bunker."

Sam scratches the back of his head, as Mae descends the staircase with Dean following. "Huh?"

"I opened the door, just as she was going to knock again." Dean begins.

"And he saved me from face planting." Mae finishes.

"Are you alright?"

"Yes, thank you. Perfectly fine." She adjusts the bag hanging on her shoulder. "Let's see this case."

They all make their way to the main room, where a spread of research is already on one of the tables. She sets down her bag on a nearby chair and she leans over the table, looking over what information the boys had gathered. With Sam standing to her right and Dean to her left, she peruses the books and papers.

"Everything points to a vengeful spirit." Sam offers.

Pausing a moment, she stands up straight. "I concur."

"Great, so we can get going and kick some evil ass." Dean says with evident excitement.

Sam shakes his head. "Actually, I would like to get some more info on the town and see if I can figure out who the spirit is."

"See these, clean hands, Sammy." Dean says, putting his hands out palms up. "So much waiting and research, I just wanna go and get 'em dirty."

"What has you so riled up for action?" Mae asks, raising an eyebrow.

Puffing out his chest and grinning like he just found a bakery full of free pies. "I killed Hitler." He proudly announces.

"Umm, didn't he die before you were born?" She asks a slightly crestfallen Dean.

"Yeah, well..." He sputters. "The Thule reincarnated him."

"Oh... so they actually found what they were looking for." Both brothers give her odd looks. "What? I hear a lot of things."

"Yeah, so... I killed Hitler." Dean repeats.

"Ok, well, I'm going to get back to my research." Sam says sitting back down in front of his laptop.

"Well done, I've heard the Thule are difficult to kill."

Dean smirks. "Yeah but this wasn't our first run in with these bastards. We took out a bunch on this one case a little while back."

"Oh wow, I'd love to hear more about that." She says, his eyes light up and he opens his mouth about to continue. "However, it will have to be a little later, right now I need to take a better look at what's here and brush up on vengeful spirits."

"Yeah sure, no problem."

She joins Sam at the table and picks up some papers in front of her. Dean, looking a little disappointed, wanders off to the kitchen in search of something to do. He putters around in there for a little while, before heading off to the den.

Walking back into the main room after about half an hour, Dean's eyes quickly fall upon Mae, who is still sitting at the table with Sam, her head bowed reading a book. He stares at the back of her head, admiring her beautiful hair. Ever since the night she fell asleep on the couch, his fingers long to return to her silken locks.

Dean approaches her as she's reading, he reaches forward and draws her hair into his hands. His fingertips brush against the sensitive skin on her neck. Sam looks up from his laptop at that movement and he notices that her eyes flutter then close at Dean's touch. Dean lets her long tresses fall behind her to cascade down her back. Her eyes open but only just and the same dazed look she had on the first case, crosses her face once again. Sam makes a mental note to mention this to Dean later, when they are alone.

"We ready to go yet?" Dean asks nonchalantly, as if nothing happened.

Sam gives him a questioning stare for a few seconds. "Umm... almost, I just have a few more people to look up."

Looking to Mae, Sam notices she still hasn't come out of her trance. He tries to gain her attention but she just continues to stare off. Realizing that Sam is talking to her, she struggles to focus on what he's saying, only seeing his lips moving.

Shaking her head slightly, she asks. "What?"

"Are you ok?" He repeats, his brow creasing in concern.

She shrugs off his worry. "Yeah, of course."

She returns her nose back to the book she is clutching and attempts to play it off but can't quite shake it. What the hell was that? Rubbing her neck where Dean's fingers had been moments before, she smiles at the tingly feeling still running down her spine.